No. 10 Women's Tennis Upends No. 16 Texas, 4-3
March 21, 2002
AUSTIN, Texas - A back and forth dual all afternoon long came down to the final singles match as 10th-ranked Arizona State (10-3, 1-0 Pac-10) topped 16th-ranked Texas (8-4), 4-3 today in Austin.
Texas opened the early lead by winning two of the three doubles matches at the No. 2 and 3 positions for the first point. The lone ASU doubles victory occurred on the No. 1 court where Adria Engel and Dora Krstulovic downed Ziva Grasic and Vladka Uhilrova, 8-6.
In singles action, the Sun Devils came on strong by taking four of the six singles matches to take home the win. On the No. 1 court, Engel dropped the first set to Uhilrova before coming back and taking the next two for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 victory. Krstulovic had an easier time on the No. 2 court where she beat Texas' Joanne Masongsong in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, while Mhairi Brown also won 6-2, 6-2 on the No. 3 court over Katie Ruckert.
Texas would claim victories on the fourth and fifth courts to even the dual at three apiece. The dual would then come down to the final match on the No. 6 court. After falling one set behind to the Longhorn's Lindsay Blau, Arizona State freshman Joslynn Burkett powered through the next two sets to win the dual for the Sun Devils, 5-7, 6-3, 6-0.
1. Adria Engel (ASU) def. Vladka Uhilrova (Texas), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Joanne Masongsong (Texas), 6-2, 6-2
3. Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Katie Ruckert (Texas), 6-2, 6-2
4. Kaysie Smashey (Texas) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU), 6-1, 7-6
5. Rebekah Forney (Texas) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. Lindsay Blau (Texas), 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
1. Adria Engel/Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. Vladka Uhilrova/Ziva Grasic (Texas), 8-6
2. Kaysie Smashey/Lindsay Blau (Texas) def. Mhairi Brown/Megan Yeats (ASU), 9-7
3. Joanne Masongsong/Rebekah Forney (Texas) def. Lauren Colalillo/Cindy Sureephong (ASU), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive