UW Men Fall to Arizona State in Tennis
March 24, 2002
MALIBU, Calif. - The 26th-ranked Washington men's tennis team, which opened the season with 13 straight victories, lost its second match in as many days Sunday with a 4-2 setback against No. 33 Arizona State in the consolation round of the Pepperdine Invitational at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils' record improved to 8-5. Washington, which lost 4-3 Saturday to No. 31 Texas Christian, dropped to 13-2.
The Huskies sustained their first loss this season in No. 1 singles play as ASU's 33rd-ranked Matt Klinger stopped No. 39 Alex Vlaski's seven-match winning streak with a 6-3, 6-4 decision. Vlaski and junior Matt Hanlin had combined to win the first 13 No. 1 singles matches this season. Hanlin's No. 2 singles match against Pim Van Mele was suspended after the Sun Devils clinched the team title.
Husky freshman Pete Scharler won the No. 5 singles match in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2 over Olivier Charroin and junior Dillon Ruby rallied from one set down to defeat Chris Stewart 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the No. 6 spot.
The Sun Devils captured the doubles point with victories in the Nos. 1 and 3 spots. The 24th-ranked tandem of Mitchell Bowen and Klinger edged UW's Palmanshofer and Vlaski 8-5 while Lechter and Van Mele combined to defeat Sharler and Strasberg by an 8-3 count. Washington's No. 2 doubles duo of Hanlin and Ruby had their match suspended after ASU clinched the doubles point.
The Huskies remain in California this week to continue their string of seven straight road matches. They play at Saint Mary's on Wednesday, at 20th-ranked California Friday and at No. 6 Stanford Saturday.
NCAA Men's Tennis
March 24, 2002
Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center, Malibu, Calif.
#33 Arizona State 4, #26 Washington 2
1. #33 Matt Klinger (ASU), def. #39 Alex Vlaski (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. #84 Matt Hanlin (UW) vs. Pim Van Mele (ASU), suspended
3. Clint Lechter (ASU), def. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW), 6-3, 6-2
4. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), def. Ari Strasberg (UW), 6-2, 7-5
5. Pete Scharler (UW), def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Dillon Ruby (UW), def. Chris Stewart (ASU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. #24 Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU), def. Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW), 8-5
2. Hanlin/Ruby (UW) vs. #41 Charroin/Stewart (ASU), suspended
3. Lechter/Van Mele (ASU), def. Scharler/Strasberg (UW), 8-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:30pm PTLive