UW Women Blank Sacramento State in Tennis
March 24, 2002
SEATTLE - The 14th-ranked Washington women's tennis team won every match Sunday, including straight set victories in all six singles competitions, en route to an impressive 7-0 blanking of No. 59 Sacramento State inside the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The Huskies (13-3) reached the 13-win plateau faster than any UW team since 1978. Sacramento State (13-2) had its nine-match winning streak snapped.
Washington senior Ilona Kordonskaya clinched the team victory with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over Roberta Fessenko in No. 3 singles. Kordonskaya extended her singles streak to eight straight victories. She has not lost since Feb. 9, which is also the last time sophomore Claire Carter suffered a singles setback. Ranked No. 41 nationally, Carter posted her ninth consecutive win with a 6-0, 6-2 decision over Marta Gronowicz in No. 2 singles.
Husky junior Darija Klaic, who is ranked 58th, won by a 6-3, 6-4 count against the Hornets' top singles player Gabriella Lundqvist.
Washington freshman Dea Sumantri defeated Petra Abraham 6-3, 6-2 in No. 4 singles, junior Andrea Coulter won the No. 5 match 6-1, 6-4 over Amanda Sanches and sophomore Erin Hoe was a 6-3, 6-0 victor over Christina Rivieccio in the sixth spot.
The Huskies' six singles players teamed up to sweep the doubles competition as well. Carter and Klaic, the nation's 39th-ranked tandem, clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Gronowicz and Lundqvist in the No. 1 position.
Washington's No. 2 duo of Gray and Sumantri, ranked No. 59, improved their doubles record to 14-1 by dispatching Fessenko and Italina Kirknis by an 8-2 tally. In No. 3 doubles, Coulter and Kordonskaya defeated Sanches and Rivieccio 8-4.
The Huskies continue their four-game homestand next weekend, beginning on Friday (Mar. 29) at noon against fifth-ranked Stanford. On Saturday (Mar. 30) UW hosts No. 28 California at noon.
NCAA Women's Tennis
Nordstrom Tennis Center, Seattle, Wash.
March 24, 2002
#14 Washington 7, #59 Sacramento State 0
1. #58 Darija Klaic (UW, def. Gabriella Lundqvist (SAC), 6-3, 6-4
2. #41 Claire Carter (UW), def. Marta Gronowicz (SAC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW), def. Roberta Fessenko (SAC), 6-1, 6-1 *clinched team victory
4. Dea Sumantri (UW), def. Petra Abraham (SAC), 6-3, 6-2
5. Andrea Coulter (UW), def. Amanda Sanches (SAC), 6-1, 6-4
6. Erin Hoe (UW), def. Christina Rivieccio (SAC), 6-3, 6-0
1. #39 Carter/Darija Klaic (UW) def. Gronowicz/Lundqvist (SAC), 8-4 *clinched doubles point
2. #59Gray/Sumantri (UW) def. Fessenko/Italina Kirknis (SAC), 8-2
3. Coulter/Kordondkaya (UW), def. Sanches/Rivieccio (SAC), 8-4