UW Men's Tennis Falls at Cal
March 29, 2002
BERKELEY, Calif. - The 20th-ranked California men won all six singles matches and two of three doubles contests Friday en route to a 7-0 victory over No. 34 Washington in the Pacific-10 Conference opener for both teams at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Washington's record dropped to 14-3 with its third loss in the last four outings. The Golden Bears improved to 12-3.
Ben Miles and 2001 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year Balazs Veress dropped UW's duo of Ari Strasberg and Alex Vlaski on the top court by an 8-6 score. Miles and Veress have emerged as the Bears' top doubles tandem this season, and this was their first win in two tries on the top court. Chase Exon and Conor Niland continued to solidify Cal's third doubles spot with an 8-6 victory of their own.
The Bears swept through the singles portion of the afternoon by winning 12 out of 13 sets. In the dozen sets that Cal took, only in one did a Husky win more than three games. Niland and Kowalczyk both dominated on their respective courts, each winning in a pair of 6-1 sets. Team captain John Paul Fruttero defeated Washington's top player, Alex Vlaski, in a straight set 6-3, 6-4 victory.
Hanlin lost a 6-3, 6-2 decision to Fruttero in the No. 2 position, snapping his 11-match singles winning streak. He sustained his first loss since Feb. 2
The Huskies conclude their seven-match road trip on Saturday (Mar. 30) against fifth-ranked Stanford.
NCAA Men's Tennis
Mar. 29, 2002
Hallman Tennis Complex, Berkeley, Calif.
#20 California 7, #34 Washington 0
1. John Paul Fruttero (Cal) def. Alex Vlaski, 6-3, 6-4
2. Balazs Veress (Cal) def. Matt Hanlin, 6-3, 6-2
3. Conor Niland (Cal) def. Ari Strasberg, 6-1, 6-1
4. 5. Wayne Wong (Cal) def. Christoph Palmanshofer, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Peter Scharler, 6-1, 6-1
6. Mik Ledvonova (Cal) def. Dillon Ruby, 6-2, 6-3
1. Miles/Veress (Cal) def. Strasberg/Vlaski, 8-6
2. Hanlin/Ruby (UW) def. Kowalczyk/Wong, 8-6
3. Exon/Niland (Cal) def. Palmanshofer/Schobler, 8-6