UW Women Fall to 6th-Ranked Stanford in Tennis
March 29, 2002
SEATTLE - Senior Lauren Kalvaria was victorious the No. 1 singles and doubles competitions Friday, helping the sixth-ranked Stanford women blank No. 19 Washington 7-0 inside the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
The Huskies, who were shut out for the first time this season, have never won in 12 all-time meetings with Stanford. Washington (13-4) evened its Pacific-10 Conference record at 1-1. The defending national champion Cardinal (15-1) improved to 2-0 in Pac-10 play.
Listed 11th in the national singles rankings, Kalvaria dispatched No. 41 Claire Carter of Washington by a 6-3, 6-1 tally. Keiko Tokuda clinched the team victory for the Cardinal with a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Andrea Coulter in the No. 5 position.
Tokuda teamed with Story Tweedie-Yates to clinch the doubles point with an 8-1 win over Coulter and Ilona Kordonskaya in the No. 3 position.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches, including an 8-2 triumph in the top spot by third-ranked Kalvaria and Gabriela Lastra over No. 59 Colleen Gray and Dea Sumantri. In the second doubles position, No. 15 Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette won 8-2 over the UW duo of Carter and Erin Hoe.
The Cardinal won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. The only match that went three sets was the No. 3 singles contest in which 15th-ranked Barnikow rallied from one set down to defeat Gray 6-7, 6-3, 6-2.
Stanford's 16th-ranked Lastra defeated Kordonskaya 7-6, 6-2 in No. 2 singles, No. 24 Burdette topped Sumantri 6-2, 7-6(6) in the No. 4 spot and Emilia Anderson won the No. 6 match over Hoe by a 6-4, 6-2 count.
The Huskies conclude their home schedule Saturday (Mar. 30) at noon against 20th-ranked California.
NCAA Women's Tennis
Nordstrom Tennis Center, Seattle, Wash.
Mar. 29, 2002
#6 Stanford 7, #19 Washington 0
1. #11 Lauren Kalvaria (SU), def. #41 Claire Carter (UW), 6-3, 6-1
2. #16 Gabriela Lastra (SU), def. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW), 7-6, 6-2
3. #15 Lauren Barnikow (SU), def. Colleen Gray (UW), 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
4. #24 Erin Burdette (SU), def. Dea Sumantri (UW), 6-2, 7-6(6)
5. Keiko Tokuda (SU), def. Andrea Coulter (UW), 6-4, 6-2 *clinched team victory
6. Emilia Anderson (SU), def. Erin Hoe (UW), 6-4, 6-2
1. #3 Kalvaria/Lastra (SU), def. #59 Gray/Sumantri (UW), 8-2
2. #15 Barnikow/Burdette (SU), def. Carter/Hoe (UW), 8-2
3. Tokuda/Story Tweedie-Yates (SU), def. Coulter/Kordondkaya (UW), 8-1 *clinched doubles point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive