Bruins Down Sun Devils, 5-2
March 30, 2002
Los Angeles - The No. 2 ranked UCLA men's tennis team improved to 16-1 and 3-0 in the Pac-10 Saturday, defeating Arizona State, 5-2 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
UCLA swept all three doubles matches for the first point, marking the first time this season that ASU did not earn at least one doubles victory.
In singles action, the Bruins quickly went up 3-0 by claiming straight set wins on the No. 2 and 3 courts. The Sun Devils did cut into the lead to 3-1 when Chris Stewart defeated Lassi Ketola on the No. 5 court also in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. However, UCLA clinched the dual on the No. 1 court when Marcin Matkowski defeated Matt Klinger, 7-6, 7-6. ASU would earn one more point on the No. 6 court where Olivier Charroin pulled out a three set victory over Derrick Nguyen, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
Arizona State is now 8-7 overall and 1-2 in Pac-10 play.
Next up for UCLA will be Cal this Friday and Stanford on Saturday. Both matches will be at the LATC.
1. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 7-6, 7-6
2. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU), 7-6, 6-2
5. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Lassi Ketola (UCLA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Derrick Nguyen (UCLA), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
1. Matkowski/Rojer (UCLA) def. Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-3
2. Grilli/Ketola (UCLA) def. Charroin/Stewart (ASU), 8-6
3. Djahangiri/Francis (UCLA) def. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/24 | 8:00pm PTLive