No. 19 Men's Tennis Upsets No. 6 Stanford, 6-1
April 5, 2002
LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The No. 19-ranked USC men's tennis team recorded one of its biggest upsets of the year with a 6-1 win over No. 6 Stanford Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The victory is the Trojans' first over the Cardinal in six years, breaking a 12-match losing streak that dated back to 1996.
With the win, USC improves to 15-4 this season, while Stanford drops to 15-2 after suffering only its second loss of the year. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
The afternoon began with three heated battles in doubles play. USC's Prakash Amritraj and Andrew Park were the first to earn a win by defeating Stanford's Sam Warburg and Phil Sheng, 8-6, at No. 3. At No. 2, unranked Teige Sullivan and Ruben Torres upset No. 14 K.J. Hippensteel and Ryan Haviland, 9-8 (7-3), to capture the doubles point for the Trojans.
Center court doubles featured top-ranked Scott Lipsky and David Martin against the Trojans' No. 7-ranked Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey, who faced each other for the second time this season (USC won the first meeting 9-8 at the ITA Indoor Championships in February). This time it was Stanford's turn. Rainey and Moore fought to come back from a 5-1 deficit to tie the score at 7-7, then took their first lead at 8-7. But the Cardinal earned the next point and eventually won the match in a 7-3 tiebreaker.
Ahead 1-0, USC was dominant in singles play. Daniel Langre put the Trojans ahead by two with a quick 6-3, 6-3 win against Warburg. After giving up a point to the Cardinal at the No. 2 spot, USC rattled off the next two points in straight sets as Amritraj defeated Lipsky, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 2, and Park clinched the match with a 6-4, 7-6 upset win over Stanford's No. 4 Hippensteel at center court. In the final two matches, Rainey defeated Haviland, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, and Torres beat Sheng, 6-7, 6-2, 6-1.
USC will next face No. 22 California on Saturday, April 6, at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#19 USC 6, #6 Stanford 1
(1) #1 Lipsky/Martin (Stan) def. #7 Moore/Rainey (USC) - 9-8 (7-3)
(2) Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) def. #14 Hippensteel/Haviland (Stan) - 9-8 (7-3)
(3) Amritraj/Park (USC) def. Warburg/Sheng (Stan) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #33 Andrew Park (USC) def. #4 K.J. Hippensteel (Stan) - 6-4, 7-5
(2) #46 David Martin (Stan) def. #110 Ryan Moore (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(3) #71 Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #76 Scott Lipsky (Stan) - 7-6, 6-2
(4) #54 Nick Rainey (USC) def. #57 Ryan Haviland (Stan) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Sam Warburg (Stan) - 6-3, 6-3
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Phil Sheng (Stan) - 6-7, 6-2, 6-1