Women's Tennis Upset By Cal, 4-3
April 6, 2002
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No. 13 USC women's tennis team endured its second straight loss with a 4-3 defeat at the hands of No. 21 California Saturday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center in Berkeley. With the loss, the Women of Troy fall to 14-6 overall, while the Golden Bears improve to 11-6. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
As it turned out, everything came down to the doubles point and Cal was the first on the board after winning at the No. 2 and 3 positions. The Trojans managed to come away with a doubles victory at center court as Tiffany Brymer and Jewel Peterson defeated the Bears' Raquel Kops-Jones and Jody Scheldt, 8-6.
Before USC was able to score a point, Cal secured the match victory with singles wins at the No. 2, 3 and 4 spots. Down 4-0, the Trojans fought to earn the final three points as Peterson defeated Kops-Jones, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 1, Brymer beat Carla Arguelles, 6-4, 2-6, 7-5, at No. 5 and Melissa Esmero posted a 7-6, 6-1 win over Nicole Havlicek at No. 6.
The Women of Troy return home to host Washington and Washington State on Friday and Saturday (April 12-13).
#21 Cal 4, #13 USC 3
(1) #4 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. #17 Kops-Jones/Scheldt (Cal) - 8-6
(2) Fusano/Jacobs (Cal) def. #19 Loyola/Magnani (USC) - 8-6
(3) Lynch/Arguelles (Cal) def. Esmero/Diaz (USC) - 8-5
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #5 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #36 Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) - 6-4, 7-5
(2) #73 Catherine Lynch (Cal) def. #31 Luana Magnani (USC) - 7-5, 6-1
(3) #60 Christina Fusano (Cal) def. #88 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(4) Jody Scheldt (Cal) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Carla Arguelles (Cal) - 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) - 7-6, 6-1
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive