No. 17 California Upset by No. 38 Arizona State
April 13, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The University of California men's tennis team was defeated by Arizona State, 5-2 this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. With the loss, the Bears drop to 15-6 (3-2 Pac-10), while Arizona State improves to 9-9 (2-4).
The Sun Devils clinched the doubles point by upending Cal's duo of John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk at the top court, in a 9-8 (11) tiebreak win. In singles, Fruttero's aversion to tiebreaks continued, as he was defeated in a three-set match that was completed in a 7-6(6) near-deadlock. 2001 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year Balazs Veress got things back on track on the second court, winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Kowalcayk rebounded from a rough start to defeat Olivier Charroin, 0-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Cal returns to Hellman Tennis Center next week for a three-match homestand, which will close out the 2002 regular season homeslate for the Bears. First up is Pepperdine, on Monday at 1:30 p.m.
Cal 15-6 (3-2)
ASU: 9-9 (2-4)
1. Klinger/Bowen (ASU) def. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal), 9-8(11)
2. Miles/Veress (Cal) def. Charroin/Stewart (ASU), 8-5
3. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Niland/Exon (Cal), 8-4
1. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. John Paul Fruttero (Cal), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(6)
2. Balazs Veress (Cal) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Conor Niland (Cal), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
4. Mirza Duranovic (ASU def. Wayne Wong (Cal), 7-6, 6-1
5. Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 0-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Mik Ledvonova (Cal), 6-3, 3-1 (Ret)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive