Men's Tennis Rolls Past Cal Poly, 6-1
April 17, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (11-9, 3-4 Pac-10) cruised to a 6-1 victory over Cal Poly (8-15) this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. In the 11 wins combined this season, Arizona State has outscored its opponents 64-12.
In doubles action, for the 15th time this season out of the 20 duals, ASU opened the dual by claiming the doubles point for the early 1-0 lead. On the No. 1 court, Arizona State's 15th-ranked duo of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger quickly dispatched Cal Poly's Greg Levy and Mike Marquez, 8-0. The ASU tandem of Olivier Charroin and Chris Stewart claimed the doubles point on the No. 3 court when they defeated Davey Jones and Stacy Meronoff, 8-4. Clinton Letcher and Pim Van Mele also ended their doubles match by an identical, 8-4 score.
In singles, Klinger defeated Meronoff on the No. 1 court 6-1, 6-4, while Van Mele also won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 over Cal Poly's Jones. Letcher gained another quick point for the Sun Devils with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Carroll. ASU would collect the final two points with identical 6-4, 6-1 victories on the No. 5 and 6 courts by Charroin and Jonathan Stott respectively. Cal Poly managed to gain its lone point on the No. 4 court where Levy downed Stewart, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Up next, Arizona State ends the 2002 regular season, hosting rival Arizona on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
1. (15) Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Levy/Mike Marquez (CP), 8-0
2. Letcher/Van Mele (ASU) def. Carroll/Tracy (CP), 8-4
3. Charroin/Stewart (ASU) def. Jones/Meronoff (CP), 8-4
1. (30) Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Stacy Meronoff (CP), 6-1, 6-4
2. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Davey Jones (CP), 6-2, 6-1
3. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Erin Carroll (CP), 6-2, 6-2
4. Nick Tracy (CP) def Chris Stewart (ASU), 6-4, 7-6 (3)
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Greg Levy (CP), 6-4, 6-1
6. Jonathan Stott (ASU) def. Brandon Shainfeld (CP), 6-4, 6-1
TOMORROW | 2:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:30pm PTLive