Men's Tennis Suffers 5-1 Loss At Cal
April 19, 2002
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No. 13-ranked USC men's tennis team suffered a 5-1 defeat at the hands of No. 19 California Friday afternoon at the Hellman Tennis Center. With the loss, the Trojans fall to 18-6 overall and 4-2 in the Pac-10, while the Golden Bears improve to 17-6, and tie USC with a 4-2 conference mark.
By winning two of the three doubles matches, the Golden Bears took an early 1-0 lead. After a win at No. 2, Cal clinched the point when the No. 26-ranked team of John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk upset seventh-ranked Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey, 8-6, at center court.
Cal took the first set in five of the six singles matches to start singles play. First off the court was Wayne Wong who defeated the Trojans' Daniel Langre on court five, 6-2, 6-1, then was followed by Fruttero, who beat Andrew Park, 6-3, 6-3, at center court.
With a 3-0 lead, the Bears needed only one of the remaining four matches for a victory. It was Conor Niland who came back after dropping the first set to defeat Prakash Armitraj, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, and secure the Cal win. Ryan Moore posted the Trojans' only point with 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Balazs Veress at No. 2.
#19 California 5, #13 USC 1
(1) #26 Kowalczyk/Fruttero (Cal) def. #7 Moore/Rainey (USC) - 8-6
(2) Niland/Ben Miles (Cal) def. Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) - 8-6
(3) Langre/Armitraj (USC) def. Veress/Patrick Briaud (Cal) - 8-6
Cal wins doubles point.
(1) #19 John Paul Fruttero (Cal) def. #29 Andrew Park (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. #113 Balazs Veress (Cal) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
(3) Conor Niland (Cal) def. #66 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
(4) Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) vs. #47 Nick Rainey (USC) - 7-6(5), 5-7 (susp.)
(5) Wayne Wong (Cal) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Mik Ledvonova (Cal) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/23 | 11:00am PTLive