Men's Tennis Upsets Fourth-Ranked Stanford, 4-3
April 20, 2002
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 13-ranked USC men's tennis team (19-5, 5-2 Pac-10), looking to bounce back from Friday's loss to Cal, upset No. 4 Stanford (19-5, 5-2), 4-3, to earn its first win over the Cardinal in the Bay Area since the 1994 season (USC's last NCAA Championship season).
Played at Stanford's Taube Tennis Center, Saturday's match completed regular season play and left both teams in a three-way tie with Cal for second place in the Pac-10. UCLA (6-1 in the Pac-10) was crowned the 2002 Pac-10 champion in a conference race decided on this final day of competition. Arizona State and Washington tied for fifth place at 3-4, while Arizona (1-6) and Oregon (0-7) took sixth and seventh place, respectively.
USC opened the match by winning two of three doubles contests to capture the first point. Highlighting doubles play was the center court contest between USC's No. 7-ranked Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore and Stanford's No. 2-ranked Scott Lipsky and David Martin. Facing each other for the third time this season, Moore and Rainey avenged last month's home loss by defeating the pair, 8-6, and taking a 2-1 lead in the match-up. USC also won on court two as Teige Sullivan and Ruben Torres defeated the Cardinal's Ryan Haviland and Sam Warburg, 8-5.
Torres began singles play with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Joe Kao at No. 6 and Andrew Park defeated David Martin 6-3, 6-4 at center court to put the Trojans' ahead 3-0. After allowing Stanford to tie the score with wins at courts 3, 4 and 5, the dual came down to the No. 2 singles match between Moore and Lipsky. Moore outlasted the 59th-ranked Lipsky 6-3, 6-7, 7-6 to capture the USC victory.
The Trojans will compete at the 2002 Pac-10 Individual Championships Thursday through Sunday, April 25-28, in Ojai, Calif.
#13 USC 4, #4 Stanford 3
(1) #7 Moore/Rainey (USC) def. #2 Lipsky/Martin (Stan) - 8-6
(2) Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) def. Haviland/Warburg (Stan) - 8-5
(3) Kao/Sheng (Stan) def. Amritraj/Langre (USC) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #29 Andrew Park (USC) def. #37 David Martin (Stan) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. #59 Scott Lipsky (Stan) - 6-3, 6-7, 7-6
(3) #76 Ryan Haviland (Stan) def. #66 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(4) Phil Sheng (Stan) def. #47 Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
(5) Sam Warburg (Stan) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Joe Kao (Stan) - 6-2, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive