UCLA Eliminates UW from NCAA Women's Tennis Championships
May 11, 2002
LOS ANGELES - Fifth-ranked UCLA rallied with four straight singles wins Saturday, capped by Petya Marinova's three-set victory that clinched a 4-1 decision over No. 23 Washington in the regional final of the NCAA women's tennis championships at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Huskies, who defeated No. 59 Loyola Marymount 4-0 in the regional semifinal, completed the season with a 14-11 record. UCLA (18-4) advances to the 16-team NCAA finals that begin May 16 at Stanford.
Washington lost despite claiming the doubles point with a pair of upset victories over duos ranked among the top-5 in the country.
UW's 23rd-ranked tandem of Claire Carter and Darija Klaic won 8-3 in No. 1 doubles over No. 4 Marinova and Sara Walker. Colleen Gray and Dea Sumantri secured the doubles point with a 9-8 decision in the second position over No. 5 Megan Bradley and Lauren Fisher.
Bradley, the nation's third-ranked singles competitor, won the top singles competition over No. 84 Carter by a 6-4, 6-2 count. In the second doubles contest, No. 10 Walker swept Washington's 54th-ranked Klaic 6-2, 6-3.
The Huskies were battling in the remaining three singles matches, needing to win all three. They led in two matches that were suspended when No. 74 Marinova won the third singles match 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 over Kordonskaya.
'That's the best we've played in doubles all year,' said Patty McCain who guided the Huskies into the NCAA Tournament in each of her five seasons as head coach. 'We were in pretty good shape if Ilona could have come through in No. 3 singles. That's the way it's gone all year for us; when it gets down to some close matches at the end and we just fall short.'
The NCAA individual championships begin May 20 at Stanford with Carter and Klaic scheduled to participate in the 32-team doubles competition.
'At least Claire and Darija are finding form in doubles with a great effort today,' McCain projected of their NCAA prospects.
NCAA Women's Tennis Championships
May 11, 2002
Los Angeles Tennis Center; Los Angeles, Calif.
#5 UCLA 4, #23 Washington 1
1. #3 Megan Bradley (UCLA) def. #84 Claire Carter (UW), 6-4, 6-2
2. #10 Sara Walker (UCLA) def. #54 Darija Klaic (UW) 6-2, 6-3
3. #74 Petya Marinova (UCLA) def. Ilona Kordonskaya (UW), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 *clinched team victory
4. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) vs. Dea Sumantri (UW), 6-4, 5-5, suspended
5. Lauren Fisher (UCLA) def. Colleen Gray (UW), 6-3, 6-2
6. Erin Hoe (UW) vs. Catherine Hawley (UCLA), 6-7, 7-5, suspended
1. #23 Carter/Klaic (UW) def. #4 Marinova/Walker (UCLA), 8-3
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) def. #5 Bradley/Fisher, 9-8 *clinched doubles point
3. Gregg/Hawley (UCLA) def. Hoe/Kordonskaya (UW), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive