No. 10 Women's Tennis Blanks No. 19 Arizona, 4-0, To Advance To The Round Of 16
May 12, 2002
TEMPE, Ariz. - For the third straight year and fourth time in the past six years, the 10th-ranked Arizona State women's tennis team (15-7) advanced to the NCAA Round of 16 Team Championships as they shutout 19th-ranked Arizona (12-11), 4-0, today in the second of the NCAA Regional held at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
Arizona State came out strong as they won the first two doubles matches for the first point of the day. On court No. 1, ASU's 11th-ranked duo of junior Adria Engel and sophomore Dora Krstulovic downed the ninth-ranked team of Debbie Larocque and Maja Mlakar, 8-2. Soon after on the No. 2 court, ASU junior Mhairi Brown and sophomore Cindy Sureephong clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Laresa Marino and Marie-Pier Pouliot.
In singles play, Krstulovic made quick work of Larocque on the No. 2 court, 6-2, 6-2, to take a 2-0 lead. ASU then stretched the lead to 3-0 when Sureephong also won in straight sets over UA's Perrine Pernin, 6-3, 6-1. With four courts still in play, the dual was clinched on the No. 5 court by ASU freshman Lauren Colalillo. After winning the fist set 6-3, Colalillo found herself down 1-5 in the second set to UA's Pouliot. However, Colalillo stormed backed to tie the set a 5-5 and eventual went on to win the match, 6-3, 7-5.
Up next, Arizona State advances to the Round of 16 in Stanford, California, May 16. The Sun Devils will face the winner of the North Carolina/Furman match.
1. (17) Adria Engel (ASU) vs. (19) Maja Mlakar (UA), DNF
2. (27) Dora Krstulovic (ASU) def. (59) Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-2, 6-2
3. (75) Mhairi Brown (ASU) vs. (106) Dianne Hollands (UA), DNF
4. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Perrine Pernin (UA), 6-3, 6-1
5. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) def. Marie-Pier Pouliot (UA), 6-3, 7-5
6. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) vs. Laresa Marino (UA), DNF
1. (11) Engel/Krstulovic (ASU) def. (9) Larocque/Mlakar (UA), 8-2
2. Brown/Sureephong (ASU) def. Marino/Pouliot (UA), 8-4
3. Colalillo/Megan Yeats (ASU) vs. Hollands/Brooke Taylor (UA), DNF