Men's Tennis Advances With Upset Victory Over Baylor
May 18, 2002
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- The No. 11-ranked USC men's tennis team gave retiring head coach Dick Leach one more memorable NCAA Tournament win as they upset fourth-ranked Baylor, 4-2, Saturday afternoon to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals. Leach, who has led the Trojans to three NCAA titles in his 23-year career, will make his 15th appearance in the quarterfinal round.
USC (22-5) will now face third-ranked Illinois on Sunday, May 19, at 1 p.m. at the Texas A&M Tennis Stadium. The Illini defeated Notre Dame, 4-1, on Saturday to advance. Baylor completes its season with a 27-2 overall record.
After the Bears grabbed the first win of the afternoon at No. 2 doubles, the Trojans' Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore evened the field with an 8-5 win at center court over the Bears' Markus Hornung and Nathan McGregor. Locked at a 5-5 tie and down 40-15, Rainey and Moore came back to take a 6-5 lead and never looked back.
The crucial doubles point was left to be decided at court three where USC's Prakash Amritraj and Daniel Langre and Baylor's Matias Marin and Reiner Neurohr were matching each other point-for-point. With the Trojans up 8-7 and holding advantage, the Bears served into the net to give USC the win and a 1-0 edge in the match.
Baylor remained competitive and quickly evened the score with a win at No. 2 singles as Zoltan Papp defeated Moore, 6-3, 6-1. USC's Langre then disposed of the Bears' Neurohr, winning 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot.
Senior No. 30 Andrew Park supplied the biggest upset of the day as he defeated No. 9-ranked Becker 7-5, 6-3 at center court to give USC a two-point advantage (3-1).
After a Baylor win at No. 3 and, as the No. 5 match was pushed to a third set, the Trojans clinched the victory at court six. Sophomore Ruben Torres fought for a 7-6 win in the first set, then jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the second. Torres cruised to a 7-6, 6-2 victory over the Bears' Armando Carrascosa and capped the Trojans' win.
NCAA Round of 16
#11 USC 4, #4 Baylor 2
(1) #9 Rainey/Moore (USC) def. #34 Hornung/McGregor (BU) - 8-5
(2) Becker/Papp (BU) def. Teige Sullivan/Torres (USC) - 8-3
(3) Amritraj/Langre (USC) def. Marin/Neurohr (BU) - 9-7USC wins doubles point.
(1) #30 Andrew Park (USC) def. #9 Benjamin becker (BU) - 7-5, 6-3
(2) #45 Zoltan Papp (BU) def. #87 Ryan Moore (USC) - 6-3, 6-1
(3) #65 Markus Hornung (BU) def. #85 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
(4) #46 Nick Rainey (USC) vs. Matias Marin (BU) - 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 suspended
(5) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Reiner Neurohr (BU) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Armando Carrascosa (BU) - 7-6, 6-2