UCLA Men, Women Win Triton Cross Country Invitational in San Diego
Oct. 12, 2002
La Jolla, CA - Eric Peterson's UCLA women and men's cross country teams on Saturday won the Triton Cross Country Invitational, hosted by UC San Diego. The races took place on the UCSD campus in La Jolla.
The Bruin women, ranked No. 18 in the nation, won the 11-team field with 57 points. UCLA's top runner was junior Valerie Flores (San Pedro HS), who placed 11th and ran the 6000m course in 22:30.3. The Bruin men were victorious in their six-team field, winning with 35 points. The Bruin men's top runner was sophomore Ben Aragon (Santee/West Hills HS), who placed second over the 8000m course in a time of 24:58.1. Aragon was the highest placing collegian.
Finishing behind UCLA (35) were second-place UC Riverside (57) and third-place UC Irvine (66).
Along with Aragon, the Bruin men had three other runners in the Top 20 - sophomore Erik Emilsson(Bjarred, Sweden), 12th (25:44.1), senior Phil Young (La Canada HS), 15th place (25:51.9) and sophomore Puneet Mahan (Norwalk HS), 20th (26:02.1). UCLA had six runners in the Top 50.
The winner of the men's race was unattached runner Thomas Loos (24:44.0). Justin Patananan, who has no eligibility remaining in cross country but who will be a UCLA senior this spring in outdoor track, ran unattached and placed fifth (25:17.8).
Placing behind UCLA (57) and rounding out the Top 3 teams were second-place UC Irvine (78) and third-place Hawaii (101).
Along with Flores, the Bruins had three other runners place in the Top 20 - freshman Sarah West (Davis HS), 13th place (22:35.6); freshman Allison Hall (San Diego/Rancho Bernardo HS), 14th place (22:39.3); and junior Melissa McBain (Thousand Oaks HS), 19th place (22:52.9). In all, UCLA had seven runners finish in the Top 50.
The winner of the women's race was Hawaii's Victoria Change, in a time of 21:46.7
UCLA will compete in two separate meets next Saturday (Oct. 19). The Bruin women will run at the NCAA Preview Meet, hosted by Indiana State in Terre Haute (Indiana State will also host the 2002 NCAA Championships on Nov. 25). The UCLA men will run at the Cal Poly-SLO Invitational.
Triton Cross Country Classic, Oct. 12, 2002@UC San Diego/La Jolla
Men's Team Scoring (6 teams)
1. UCLA 35, 2. UC Riverside 57, 3. UC Irvine 66, 4. Sacramento State 96, 5. San Diego 141, 6. Saint Mary's 217
Top 5 Men's Runners (8000M)
1. Thomas Loos, unattached, 24:44.0; 2. Ben Aragon, UCLA, 24:58.1; 3. James Nielsen, UCSD Alumni, 25:11.3; 4. Antonio Lopez, San Diego, 25:14.5; 5. Justin Patananan, unattached, 25:17.8
UCLA Men Individually
2. Ben Aragon, UCLA, 24:58.1; 12. Erik Emilsson, 25:44.1; 15. Phil Young, 25:51.9; 20. Puneet Mahan, 26:02.1; 33. Martell Munguia, 26:18.5; 39. Reggie Oronoz, 26:31.3; 53. Nick DeFelice, 26:54.8; 59. Nick Thornton, 26:59.6; 69. Bryan Bauerle, 27:07.2; 101. Lucas Crowley, 27:41.0; 134. Nico Cueva, 28:30.4.
Women's Team Scoring (Top 5 of 11 teams)
1.UCLA 57, 2. UC Irvine 78, 3. Hawaii 101, 4. Nevada 102, 5. USC 136
Top 5 Women's Runners (6000M)
1. Victoria Chang, UH, 21:46.7; 2. Annmaria Housen, CSLA, 22:05.9; 3. Ursula Kremer, Cohn Racing, 22:09.2; 4. Hanna Bremler, UH, 22:10.8; 5; Allegra Porter, Saint Mary's, 22:19.0.
UCLA Women Individually
11. Valerie Flores, 22:30.3; 13. Sarah West, 22:35.6; 14. Allison Hall, 22:39.3; 19. Melissa McBain, 22:52.9; 32. Carolyn Shea, 23:22.9; 39. Laura Muller, 23:38.0; 48. Leslie Barrie, 23:47.0; 90. Ashley Allen, 24:34.9.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive