A List Of 10 Of the Best Big Games
Nov. 20, 2002
A list of 10 of the most memorable Big Games:
1. 1982: 'The Play' gives Cal a 25-20 win. Led by John Elway, Stanford takesa 20-19 lead on a 34-yard field goal by Mark Harmon with 4 seconds left. Onthe ensuing kickoff, Cal scores on a five-lateral, 57-yard run that endswhen the Bears' Kevin Moen runs through the Stanford band and knocks overtrombonist Gary Tyrrell in the end zone.
2. 1972: Vince Ferragamo hits Steve Sweeney with a TD pass on the final playof Cal's 24-21 victory.
3. 1974: Mike Langford kicks a 50-yard field goal on the final play inStanford's 22-20 victory.
4. 2000: In the Big Game's first overtime contest, seldom-used Stanfordfullback Casey Moore catches a 25-yard TD pass in the Cardinal's 36-30 winin Berkeley.
5. 1990: John Hopkins kicks a 37-yard field goal for a 27-25 Cardinalvictory.
6. 1999: Stanford's 31-13 win clinches the Pac-10 title and a Rose Bowlberth.
7. 1959: Stanford quarterback Dick Norman throws for an NCAA-record 401yards, but Cal wins 20-17.
8. 1976: Cal's Markey Crane fumbles on his 2 with 1:31 left and Bears ahead24-19. Stanford's Ron Inge scores game-winning TD for a 27-24 win.
9. 1947: With less than three minutes left in the 50th Big Game, CalAll-American Jackie Jensen throws a 15-yard pass to Paul Keckley, who runs65 yards for the game-winning TD.
10. 1892: Stanford upsets Cal 14-10 in the first Big Game, played at thecorner of Haight and Stanyan streets in San Francisco. Stanford managerHerbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President, reports a staggering$30,000 in gate receipts.