A List Of 10 Of the Best Apple Cups
Nov. 21, 2002
By The Associated Press
A list of 10 of the most memorable Apple Cups, the annual college footballgame between Washington and Washington State:
1. 1982: The Cougars were 2-7-1, while Washington was 9-1, ranked No. 1 muchof the season, and seemed destined for a third straight Rose Bowl.Washington State's 24-20 stunner spoiled those plans.
2. 1975: Washington rallied in the final three minutes for a thrilling 28-27win. Al Burleson returned an interception 93 yards for a TD, and SpiderGaines scored on a 78-yard play when Warren Moon's pass into a midfield mobbounced off the hands of WSU's Tony Heath.
3. 1997: Ryan Leaf threw for 358 yards and two TDs as Washington State won41-35 to reach the Rose Bowl for the first time in 67 years. 'This footballteam will be remembered for 100 years,' Cougars coach Mike Price said.
4. 1950: Hugh McElhenny ran for five TDs and 296 yards, averaging 14.8 yardsper carry, in Washington's 52-21 victory at Spokane. Fifty-two years later,his statistics remain Apple Cup records.
5. 1992: In a Pullman blizzard, Shaumbe Wright-Fair ran for 193 yards andthree TDs, while Drew Bledsoe passed for 260 yards and two TDs, and theCougars won 42-23. 'That's still my most favorite game I've played in,'Bledsoe said recently.
6. 2000: The 9-1 Huskies clinched a Rose Bowl berth with a 51-3 victory.Washington State RB Deon Burnett, after a week of trash talk, changed out ofhis uniform and left Martin Stadium at halftime, when Washington led 27-0.
7. 1996: The Cougars rallied from a 24-point deficit to force overtime, butBrock Huard's 3-yard TD pass to Jerome Pathon gave Washington a 31-24victory.
8. 1985: After five days of snow in Seattle, the turf was frozen solid.Crews put antifreeze in Husky Stadium toilets. Washington State's RubenMayes, though, ran for 167 yards as the Cougars won 21-20.
9. 1995: Rashaan Shehee had 212 yards and three TDs, and John Wales kicked a21-yard field goal with a minute remaining in Washington's 33-30 victory.
10. 1942: A 0-0 tie denied the Cougars a Rose Bowl trip. Washington State'sNick Susoeff dropped a sure TD pass, dubbed 'the $100,000 miss,' sincethat's what the Rose Bowl paid then to participating schools.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/17 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive