Ninth-Ranked Stanford Edges Eighth-Ranked Furman, 2-1, in Overtime

Dec. 1, 2002

Stanford, Ca - Freshman Chad Marshall fired a header into the goal in the second overtime that lifted the ninth-ranked Stanford men's soccer team to a 2-1 overtime victory over eighth-ranked Furman University in a third round game of the 2002 NCAA Tournament on Sunday at Harry Maloney Field.

Marshall took a corner kick from Todd Dunivant, and fired a header that glanced off the knee of a Furman player into the goal at 106.38. For Marshall, it was his first score of the year.

'I asked Todd (Dunivant) to put the corner kick into the middle of the field,' said Marshall, who recently returned to the Cardinal team after playing several games with the United States Under-20 National Team. 'Todd put the ball into a good position. I headed the ball that bounced off the defenders knee past the goalkeeper.'

Stanford outshot Furman, 23-9, including a span of 15 minutes in the second half when the team outshot the Paladins, 8-0. At one point in the first half, Stanford outshot Furman, 7-1, including a six minute span when Stanford had four golden opportunities to score.

Furman managed only four shots in the first half, but one of them sailed past Cardinal goalkeeper Robby Fulton at 35:27 by Clint Dempsey, his sixth goal of the season. The play developed when defender Luke Barbour ran down the center of the field, dished off to Sergei Raad on the right side, and then crossed a pass into the middle for a header by Dempsey.

The Paladins had recorded an NCAA record eleven straight shutouts going into the game against Stanford, but that streak ended when Mike Wilson scored in the second half with 13:43 to tie the game at 1-1. Dunivant fielded the ball along the baseline, then passed it out to Wilson who kicked the ball into the net from 20 yards away.

'We have had some difficult games where we could have folded,' said Simon. 'But we have risen everytime. This team is a great group of guys.'

Furman played under a tragic cloud during the 2002 season with the death of freshman Gray Griffin on October 11 in an automobile accident near Spartanburg, S.C. Three other Furman players were also injured in the accident, including one player who only recently was released from the hospital, and is now home undergoing rehabilitation.

'This has been a long journey, but we stuck together,' said Furman's leading scorer Anthony Esquivel. 'I'm disappointed in losing this game today, but I'll remember all the memories of the year. We are not a team, but a family.'

Furman ended its season at 19-3-1. 'Give credit to Stanford,' said Furman head coach Doug Allison. 'Stanford put a lot of pressure on us early in the game, but we adjusted and gained some confidence. It turned out to be a close game, but we just about ran out of gas in the second overtime.'

'We knew it would be a tough game,' said Cardinal forward Roger Levesque. 'Furman played great defense, and were great in goal.'

'Furman played their hearts out,' said Wilson.

Stanford, 15-4-2, will now host a quarterfinal game on Dec. 7 against Clemson University. The kickoff is slated for 7;00 p.m. at Harry Maloney Field. Clemson gained a quarterinal berth with a 2-1 upset over top-ranked Wake Forest.

Furman (19-3-1)		1	0	0-0	=	1Stanford (15-4-2)	0	1	0-1	=	2

Scoring35:27 - Clint Demsey (Furman) - assist to Matt Faxhall, Sergei Raad76:19 - Mike Wilson (Stanford) - assist to Dunivant106:38 - Chad Marshall - assistant to Dunivant

SavesRobby Fulton (Stanford) - 3Alex Maslow (Furman) - 12
Now on Pac-12 Network
3:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network