Washington Men's Tennis Wins Season Opener Over New Mexico 7-0
Jan. 24, 2003
SEATTLE - The 20th-ranked Washington men's tennis team (1-0) won all three doubles matches and and all six singles matches to defeat New Mexico (2-1) 7-0, in its dual season opener Friday evening at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Alex Vlaski, who played in the No. 1 position against Bart Scott, won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. In the No. 2 position Husky Matt Hanlin downed Divan Coetzer 6-4, 6-3. Also winning in straight sets, C. Palmanshofer defeated Ryan Stottand 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 3 position.
In the No. 4 position UW's Dillon Ruby defeated David Kowalski 6-4, 6-2 earning the clinch. Peter Scharler defeated Brent Salazar 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 in the No. 5 position and Nick Weiss downed Jasmin Hodzic 6-3, 1-6, 7-5 in the No. 6 position.In doubles play, the Huskies duo of Vlaski & Strasberg posted a victory in the No. 1 position to clinch the match over Stottland & Salazar 8-5. In the No. 2 position UW's Hanlin & Ruby defeated Scott & Coetzer 8-3, and UW's Palmanshofer & Scharler downed Kowalski & Hodzic 8-4 in the No. 3 position.
The Huskies will host Portland Saturday, Jan. 25 in the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center at 3:00 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. New Mexico
January 24, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
Washington 7, New Mexico 0
1. (5)Alex Vlaski (UW) def. (60) Bart Scott (New Mexico), 6-3, 6-3
2. (11)Matt Hanlin (UW) def. (67) Divan Coetzer (New Mexico) 6-4, 6-3
3. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Ryan Stottand (New Mexico) 6-3, 6-2
4. Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Kowalski (New Mexico) 6-4, 6-2 (clinch)
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Brent Salazar (New Mexico) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Nick Weiss (UW) def. Jamin Hodzic (New Mexico) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
1. (18)Alex Vlaski & Ari Strasberg (UW) def. (59) Ryan Stottand & Brent Salazar (NM) 8-5 (clinch)
2. Matt Hanlin & Dillon Ruby (UW) def. Bart Scott & Divan Coetzer (NM) 8-3
3. Christoph Palmanshofer & Peter Scharler (UW) def. David Kowalski & Jasmin Hodzic (NM) 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive