Washington Women's Tennis Wins Season Opener Over Portland 7-0
Jan. 24, 2003
SEATTLE - The 21st-ranked Washington women's tennis team (1-0) shut out Portland (1-1) 7-0, to win its dual season opener Friday afternoon at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center. With the victory, the Huskies improved to 13-0 in the all-time series against the Pilots.
No. 80 Claire Carter, who played in the No. 1 position against Amy Jupenlatz, won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. In the No. 2 position Husky Dea Sumantri, downed Daori Tanbabe 6-2, 6-0. Also winning in straight sets, Colleen Gray defeated Sanja Indie 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
In the No. 4 position UW's Erin Boisclair defeated Kellee Menke 6-0, 6-1. Erin Hoe defeated Dierdre Ring-Marrinson 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 5 position and Andrea Coulter downed Alyson Tyson 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 position.
In doubles play, the Huskies duo of No. 3 Carter & Darija Klaic posted a vicotry in the No. 1 position to clinch the match over Jupenlatz & Menke 8-2. In the No. 2 position UW's Gray & Sumantri defeated Tyson & Tanabe 8-3, and UW's Boisclair & Hoe shut out Indie & Ring-Marrinson 8-0 in the No. 3 position.
The Huskies will host Northwestern Saturday, Jan. 25 in the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center at 11:00 a.m.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Portland
January 24, 2003 - Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
Washington 7, Portland 0
1. (80) Claire Carter (UW) def. Amy Jupenlatz (Portland), 6-2, 6-3 (clinch)
2. Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Kaori Tanabe (Portland) 6-2, 6-0
3. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Sanja Indic (Portland) 6-4, 6-4
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Kelle Menke (Portland) 6-0, 6-1
5. Erin Hoe (UW) def. Dierdre Ring-Marrinson (Portland) 6-0, 6-3
6. Andrea Coulter (UW) def. Alyson Tyson (Portland) 6-0, 6-1
1. (3)Claire Carter & Darija Klaic (UW) def. Amy Jupenlatz & Kellee Menke (Portland) 8-2 (clinch)
2. Colleen Gray & Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Alyson Tyson Kaori Tanabe (Portland) 8-3
3. Erin Boisclair & Erin Hoe (UW) def. Sanja Indie & Dierdre Ring-Marrinson (Portland) 8-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive