Women's Tennis Defeats Marquette University, 6-1
Jan. 24, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Arizona women's tennis team recorded its second victory in two days, defeating the Marquette University Golden Eagles on Friday, 6-1.
In the No. 1 singles spot, graduate student Emilie Scribot defeated Michelle Mojzis, 6-1, 6-3. Playing in the second singles spot, sophomore Dianne Hollands won her match against Eva Trujillo-Herrera, 6-0, 6-2. Sophomore Maja Mlakar, in the No. 3 position, defeated Annabelle Espinosa, 7-6, 7-5. Junior Debbie Larocque, in the fourth spot, lost her match to Veronica Garcia Briseno, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Kristy Randono, making her first appearance for the Wildcats in the regular season, won her match, defeating Anna Pavlovic, 6-1, 6-3. In the sixth spot, freshman Zorica Zasova won her match versus Kristin Minkowski, 6-0, 6-2.
In the No. 1 doubles spot, Mlakar and Larocque teamed up for Arizona, defeating Marquette's duo of Mojzis and Stankovia, 8-2. In the second position, Hollands and Scribot defeated Espinosa and Briseno, 8-1. Sophomore Kelly Perry teamed up with Zasova to help Arizona sweep the doubles matches, defeating Trujillo-Herrera and Pavlovic, 8-1.
The Wildcat women's tennis team will next be in action Feb. 6-9, when they head to Wisconsin for the ITA Indoors Team Championships.
1. Emilie Scribot (UA) def. Michelle Mojzis (MU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Eva Trujillo-Herrera (MU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Annabelle Espinosa (MU), 7-6, 7-5
4. Veronica Garcia Briseno (MU) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-3, 6-4
5. Kristy Randono (UA) def. Anna Pavlovic (MU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Zorica Zasova (UA) def. Kristin Minkowski (MU), 6-0, 6-2
1. Mlakar/Larocque (UA) def. Mojzis/Stankovia (MU), 8-2
2. Hollands/Scribot (UA) def. Espinosa/Briseno (MU), 8-1
3. Perry/Zasova (UA) def. Trujillo-Herrera/Pavlovic (MU), 8-1