Women's Tennis Loses First Match of Season to Colorado
Jan. 24, 2003
BOULDER, Colo. - The No. 34 Oregon women's tennis team lost its first match of the season, 4-3, to Colorado Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, the Ducks lost more than the match, as junior Davina Mendiburu injured her knee in the third set of her match.
'It was a tough loss for us, especially with the way we lost,' head coach Nils Schyllander said.
Tied at two games apiece in the third set, Mendiburu hurt her knee while approaching the net. She was forced to retire from the match, allowing Colorado to take a 3-2 lead going into the final two singles matches. Freshman Jamie Marshall won at the No. 6 position in straight sets, but freshman Julie Merle was defeated at No. 5, clinching the win for the Buffaloes.
The match started out well for the Ducks, as Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova won their doubles match at the No. 1 position, 8-0. Anna Leksinska and Jamie Marshall teamed together at No. 3 to win, 8-5, giving the Ducks the doubles point.
In singles play, sophomore Daria Panova, ranked No. 28 nationally, lost the first set before storming back to win at No. 1, 1-6, 6-2, 6-1. Oregon's only other singles victory came at No. 6 by Marshall.
The Ducks will try and bounce back from the loss with a 6 p.m. Saturday match against No. 45 Illinois in Boulder.
'Hopefully, we'll step up to the plate tomorrow, deal with the adversity and play to win,' Schyllander said.
1. Nagle/Panova (O) def. Burrows/Vanderdys (C), 8-0
2. Sall/Strandemo (C) def. Gieczys/Mendiburu (O), 8-5
3. Leksinska/Marshall (O) def. Johnson/Lemperle (C), 8-5
Oregon wins the doubles point.
1. No. 28 Daria Panova (O) def. Katherine Lutgert (C), 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Dominique Lemperle (C) def. Courtney Nagle (O), 6-4, 6-3
3. Jessica Vanderdys (C) def. Monika Gieczys (O), 6-2, 6-2
4. Kendra Strandemo (C) def. Davina Mendiburu (O), 4-6, 6-3, 2-2 ret.
5. Sarah Burrows (C) def. Julie Merle (O), 6-4, 6-2
6. Jamie Marshall (O) def. Morgan Sall (C), 7-5, 6-3
Colorado wins the match, 4-3.