Washignton Men's Tennis Defeats Portland 7-0
Jan. 25, 2003
SEATTLE - The 20th-ranked Washington men's tennis team (2-0) won two out of three doubles matches and all six singles matches defeating Portland (1-1) 7-0, in the second day of back to back matches for the Huskies at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Matt Hanlin, who played in the No. 1 position, downed Peter Malacek in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. With his victory today, Hanlin took over sole possession of third place on UW's all-time singles wins list. In the No. 2 position Husky Alex Vlaski defeated James Redpath in straight sets 6-0, 6-1, and UW's Ari Strasberg defeated Roman Bouvanov 6-0, 7-6 (5) in the No. 3 position.
In the No. 4 position UW's Christoph Palmanshofer defeated Quinn Borchard 6-3, 6-3 to earn the clinch. Peter Scharler downed Ram Hernandez in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 5 position and Scott Felsenthal beat Colby Jager in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 6 position.
In doubles play, the Huskies duo of Hanlin & Ruby came up short in the No. 1 position as they fell to Borchard & Malacek 8-6. In the No. 2 position UW's Vlaski & Nick Weiss defeated Hernandez & Garrison 8-2, to earn the clinch, and Palmanshofer & Scharler downed Redpath & Bouvanov 8-1 in the No. 3 position.
The Huskies will hit the road next weekend to compete in the TCU Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas Saturday Feb. 1 and Sunday Feb. 2.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Portland
January 25, 2003 o Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
Washington 7, Northwestern 0
1. (11) Matt Hanlin def. Peter Malacek (Portland), 6-4, 6-2
2. (5) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. James Redpath (Portland) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ari Strasberg (UW) def. Roman Bouvanov (Portland) 6-0, 7-6 (5)
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Quinn Borchard (Portland) 6-3, 6-3 (clinch)
5. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Ram Hernandez (Portland) 6-0, 6-2
6. Scott Felsenthal (UW) def. Colby Jager (Portland) 6-1, 6-2
1. Quinn Borchard & Peter Malacek (Portland) def. Matt Hanlin & Dillon Ruby (UW) 8-6
2. Alex Vlaski & Nick Weiss (UW) def. Ram Hernandez & Ty Garrison (Portland) 8-2 (clinch)
3. Christoph Palmanshofer & Peter Scharler (UW) def. James Redpath & Roman Bouvanov (Portland) 8-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive