Men's Tennis Defeats Visiting Gauchos, 6-1
Jan. 27, 2003
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - In the first of three matches to be played in five days, the No. 7-ranked USC men's tennis team got off to a good start with a 6-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara Monday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 3-0 this season, while the Gauchos drop to 1-1.
USC swept doubles to take a 1-0 lead in the match. At the start of singles, Prakash Amritraj, Parker Collins and Johan Berg each earned two-set victories at No. 1, 5 and 3 to ensure the USC victory, but the match was far from over for the Gauchos.
Following a 6-4, 6-3 win by the Trojans' Scott Patterson at court six, UC Santa Barbara, down 5-0, sent the No. 2 and 4 matches into a third set. USC's Daniel Langre was first off the court, coming from behind to beat Mirco Schwindt, 3-6, 6-3, 9-7. After winning his first set 7-6, USC's Ruben Torres dropped the second 7-5 to UCSB's Mike Placek. In a final 10-point tiebreaker, Placek came out on top, 12-10, to earn the Gauchos only point of the afternoon.
The Trojans return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 29, when they travel to face 18th-ranked Pepperdine at 1:30 p.m. in Malibu.
#9 USC 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
(1) Amritraj/Langre (USC) def. Palencia/Schwindt (UCSB) - 9-7
(2) Kazarian/Wright (USC) def. Anselme/Placek (UCSB) - 9-7
(3) Berg/Collins (USC) def. Frick/Leshinsky (UCSB) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #55 Carlos Palencia (UCSB) - 6-4, 6-0
(2) Daniel Langre (USC) def. #121 Mirco Schwindt (UCSB) - 3-6, 6-3, 9-7
(3) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. Alex Anselme (UCSB) - 7-6, 6-2
(4) Mike Placek (UCSB) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-7, 7-5, 12-10
(5) Parker Collins (USC) def. Michael Frick (UCSB) - 6-3, 6-1
(6) Scott Patterson (USC) def. Ilya Leshinsky (UCSB) - 6-4, 6-3
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive