Men's Tennis Drops First UCLA Matchup, 6-1
Jan. 31, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-ranked USC men's tennis team suffered a 6-1 loss to the top-ranked UCLA Bruins Friday at Marks Tennis Stadium. The match was the first men's tennis matchup for the Lexus Gauntlet - the annual all-sport competition between the crosstown rivals.
With the loss, the Trojans fall to 3-2, while the Bruins remain undefeated at 4-0.
The Trojans were swept in the doubles portion, giving the Bruins the first point of the afternoon.
It did not take long for UCLA to clinch the match in singles, earning two-set victories at court six, five and four. But the highlight of the afternoon for the Trojans was the play of sophomore Prakash Amritraj at center court. The unranked Amritraj captured a 6-4, 6-2 upset victory over No. 12 Tobias Clemens with ease to give USC its only point of the afternoon.
'I was very disappointed with our doubles play, but was extremely happy with the way our top four singles performed because we were able to push them,' said USC head coach Peter Smith.
It was too late for the Trojans to attempt a run, despite the efforts of USC's Johan Berg and Daniel Langre, who pushed each of their matches to a third set at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Berg and Langre fought to earn a second-set victory, but fell in the third to give the Bruins their final two points.
Troy returns to action next Saturday, Feb. 8, when they host San Diego at Mark's Tennis Stadium at 2:30 pm.
#1 UCLA 6, #7 USC 1
(1) Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Amritraj/Langre (USC) - 8-0
(2) #39 Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Berg/Torres (USC) - 8-6
(3) Djahangiri/Francis (UCLA) def. Collins/Livingston (USC) - 8-5
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. #12 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-2
(2) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. #75 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-2, 6-7, 7-6
(3) Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
(4) #38 Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-3, 6-1
(5) #40 Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Scott Patterson (USC) - 6-2, 6-1