USC Women Beat The Bruins, 4-3
Jan. 31, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 9 USC women's tennis team picked up its first upset of the season with a 4-3 victory over No. 7 UCLA on Friday afternoon in Westwood. The win gives the Women of Troy the first 2.5 points for the Lexus Gauntlet - the annual all-sport competition between the rivals.
With the win, USC improves to 3-0 this season, while the loss was the first for the Bruins this season (3-1).
Staring the afternoon in doubles play, the Women of Troy captured the first point with convincing victories at courts one and two. No. 40 Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola were first to post a win over Sarah Gregg and Susi Wild, 8-4. After a UCLA win at court three, it was ninth-ranked Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer who clinched the point with an 8-6 win over the Bruins' Laura Gordon and Sara Walker at center court.
With a 1-0 USC advantage, singles play was a back-and-forth battle. Magnani, Maureen Diaz and freshman Carine Vermeulen sealed the victory for the Women of Troy with two set victories at courts two, three and six. In between, UCLA earned wins at positions 1, 4 and 5 by upsetting three of the Trojans' ranked players.
USC's next outing will be at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships Feb. 6-9 in Madison, Wisc.
#9 USC 4, #7 UCLA 3
(1) #9 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Gordon/Walker (UCLA) - 8-6
(2) #40 Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Gregg/Wild (UCLA) - 8-4
(3) Carleton/Loncaric (UCLA) def. Esmero/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Sara Walker (UCLA) def. #3 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-2, 6-7(4), 10-7
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. #84 Jackie Carleton (UCLA) - 6-0, 6-3
(3) #55 Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Susi Wild (UCLA) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) Sarah Gregg (UCLA) def. #103 Anita Loyola (USC) - 5-7, 6-2, (10-2)
(5) Laura Gordon (UCLA) def. #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 7-6(7), 6-1
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive