Men's Tennis Scores Big Road Win
Feb. 1, 2003
PROVO, Utah - The No. 75 Oregon men's tennis team defeated No. 72 BYU on the road, 5-2, to push its record to 2-1. The Ducks battled back after losing the doubles point to win five of six singles matches to pick up the win.
'It was a big win for us after falling last weekend to New Mexico,' head coach Chris Russell said. 'Coming here in the altitude and being down after the doubles point, our guys just did a great job of turning the tide. They did it by fighting hard and they showed a lot of character.'
The Cougars swept the doubles point, led by the No. 7-ranked tandem in the country of Carlos Lozano and Erik Nyman. Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig lost to the same team earlier this season, and they were unable to exact revenge.
The momentum shifted dramatically to the Ducks in singles play. Thomas Bieri, No. 64 Manuel Kost, Arron Spencer and Jason Menke all won in straight sets for Oregon. Swinnen won at the No. 2 position, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2, against No. 106 Lozano.
Kost played for the first time this calendar year after sitting with an abdominal injury. The Ducks will play New Mexico State Sunday afternoon in Utah before heading home.
No. 75 Oregon 5, No. 72 BYU 2
1. Erik Nyman (BYU) def. Oded Teig (UO), 6-4, 6-4
2. Sven Swinnen (UO) def. No. 106 Carlos Lozano (BYU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Thomas Bieri (UO) def. Jose Lechuga (BYU), 6-4, 7-6
4. Manuel Kost (UO) def. Alonso Medina (BYU), 6-2, 7-6
5. Arron Spencer (UO) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jason Menke (UO) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU), 6-4, 6-3
DOUBLES (BYU wins point)
1. No. 7 Lozano/Nyman (BYU) def. Swinnen/Teig (UO), 8-3
2. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) def. Menke/Spencer (UO), 8-2
3. Medina/Olsen (BYU) def. Bieri/King (UO), 8-5
Oregon wins match, 5-2.