Women's Tennis Edged By Harvard 4-3 At Minnesota Court Classic
Feb. 1, 2003
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - No. 15 Washington women's tennis was upset by No. 39 Harvard, 4-3, in the semifinals of the Minnesota Court Classic at the Baseline Tennis Center, Saturday. Suffering their first loss of the season, the Huskies fall to 2-1. UW will face Marshall, who lost to Minnesota 6-1 Saturday, tomorrow at 9 a.m. CT.
Washington could muster just three of six singles wins and one doubles victory. Junior Claire Carter, sophomore Dea Sumantri and senior Erin Boisclair turned in successful singles outings. Carter defeated Courtney Bergman in the No. 1 position, 6-1, 1-6, 6-1. Sumantri defeated Alexis Martire 7-6 (4), 3-6 (10-8), while Boisclair took care of Eva Wang, 7-6 (4), 4-6, (12-10).
The lone Husky doubles team to come away with a victory was the pair of senior Colleen Gray and Sumantri who defeated Sanja Bajin and Martire, 8-4. Carter and senior Darija Klaic, the nation's third-ranked doubles team, was upset by Bergman and Susanna Lingman, 9-8.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Harvard
February 1, 2003 o Minnesota Court Classic, Baseline Tennis Center
#39 Harvard 4, #15 Washington 3
1. Claire Carter (UW) def. Courtney Bergman (HV), 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
2. Susanna Lingman (UV) def. Darija Klaic (UW), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
3. Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Alexis Martire (HV), 7-6 (4), 3-6 (10-8)
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Eva Wang (HV), 7-6 (4), 4-6, (12-10)
5. Sanja Bajin (HV) def. Colleen Gray (UW), 6-2, 6-1
6. Melissa Anderson (HV) def. Erin Hoe (UW), 6-2, 6-0
1. Bergman/Lingman (HV) def. Carter/Klaic (UW), 9-8
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) def. Bajin/Martire (HV), 8-4
3. Wang/Anderson (HV) def. Boisclair/Hoe (UW), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive