Men's Tennis Wins Again Away From Home
Feb. 2, 2003
PROVO, Utah - The No. 75 Oregon men's tennis team won for the second time in as many days, this time against New Mexico State, 5-2. The Ducks (3-1) won all three doubles matches before taking four of the six singles matches to clinch the victory.
'We did pretty well today,' head coach Chris Russell said. 'This weekend was a good opportunity for our team to gel. They were playing very hard for their teammates.'
Oregon swept the doubles matches, led by Sven Swinnen and Oded Teig's 9-8 win at the No. 1 spot. Jason Menke and Arron Spencer teamed to win at No. 2, with Thomas Bieri and Chris King doing the same at No. 3.
In singles play, the Ducks won at positions two through five to win the team match. Sophomore Manuel Kost, ranked No. 64 nationally, won in three sets, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4, while the three other Ducks that won did so in straight sets.
Oregon returns home to face the Portland Pilots Saturday at the Student Tennis Center.
No. 75 Oregon defeates New Mexico State, 5-2.
1. Mark Roberts (N) def. Oded Teig (O), 6-4, 6-7, 7-5
2. Sven Swinnen (O) def. Danilo Zivanovic (N), 6-2, 7-6
3. Manuel Kost (O) def. Ben Archer-Clowes (N), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Thomas Bieri (O) def. Luis Avila (N), 6-3, 6-4
5. Arron Spencer (O) def. Simon Baungartner (N), 6-4, 7-5
6. Dan Even (N) def. Jason Menke (O), 7-6, 7-5
1. Swinnen/Teig (O) def. Avila/Roberts (N), 9-8
2. Menke/Spencer (O) def. Archer-Clowes/Even (N), 8-5
3. Bieri/King (O) def. Baungartner/Zivanovic (N), 8-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive