Women's Tennis Gets Past Northwestern, 4-3, In Opener
Feb. 6, 2003
MADISON, Wisc. -- The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team (4-0) defeated No. 14 Northwestern, 4-3, in the opening round of the USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc., on Thursday, Feb. 7. With the win, the Women of Troy advance to the quarterfinal round to face third-seeded Georgia on Friday.
USC began the afternoon down 1-0 as Northwestern (4-4) earned the doubles point with victories at courts one and two.
The Trojans depth in singles would be the deciding factor as USC posted the next three straight points thanks to wins at No. 6, 4 and 2 singles. Freshman Carine Vermeuelen was first off the court for USC with a two-set victory over Stacy Kokx, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6. The following two points did not come as easily. Sophomore Luana Magnani and senior Anita Loyola both staged come-from-behind efforts to win in three sets at courts two and four.
It was the Women of Troy's Tiffany Brymer who eventually clinched the match with a 7-6(5), 6-4 win at No. 5 singles over the Wildcats' Ruth Barnes.
USC and defending champion Georgia will play a quarterfinal match tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. CST.
#7 USC 4, #15 Northwestern 3
(1) Rush/Grier (NU) def. #9 Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-5
(2) Yung/Barnes (NU) def. #40 Magnani/Loyola (USC) - 8-4
(3) Vermeulen/Esmero (USC) def. Peisel/Roemer (NU) - 8-5
Northwestern wins doubles point.
(1) #16 Christelle Grier (NU) def. #3 Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. #63 Jessica Rush (NU) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-0
(3) Andrea Yung (NU) def. #55 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-4, 6-0
(4) #103 Anita Loyola (USC) def. #76 Jamie Peisel (NU) - 6-7(5), 6-2, 6-2
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Ruth Barnes (NU) - 7-6(5), 6-4
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Stacy Kokx (NU) - 6-1, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive