Cardinal Fall To Cal 4-3 At Team Indoor Championships
Feb. 7, 2003
Madison, Wis. - The top-ranked Stanford women's tennis lost the doubles point, but could only win three singles matches to drop a 4-3 decision to tenth-ranked California Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the 2003 USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal fall to 3-1,while the Bears improve 4-0.
California won two of three doubles matches to go up 1-0. Stanford's eighth-ranked duo of Lauren Barnikow (Woodbridge, NJ) and Erin Burdette (Jackson, GA) picked up the Cardinal's only doubles win. Barnikow and Burdette defeated fourth-ranked Christina Fusano and Raquel Kops-Jones 8-5 at No. 1.
The Golden Bears took a victory at the top singles spot, with No. 12 Raquel Kops-Jones defeating 17th-ranked freshman Amber Liu (La Mesa, CA) to go up 2-0. Burdette picked up Stanford's first point with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 win over Catherine Lynch.
Cal took a 3-1 lead with a win at No. 5 when Jody Scheldt defeated Emilia Anderson (Cincinnati, OH) 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3. Barnikow recorded a straight set victory over Christina Fusano 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 and Alice Barnes (Cambridge, UK) followed with a 6-0, 6-4 win to tie the score at 3-3. The Bears took the match with a win at No. 6 when Nicole Havlicek defeated Story Tweedie-Yates (Remond, WA) 7-5, 6-2.
Stanford will play North Carolina tomorrow afternoon in a quarterfinal playoff match at 3:30 p.m. CT.
No. 10 California 4, No. 1 Stanford 3
(1) Lauren Barnikow / Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Fusano/Kops-Jones (CAL) --- 8-5
(2) Jacobs/Scheldt (CAL) def. Alice Barnes / Amber Liu (STAN) --- 8-5
(3) Havlicek/Lynch (CAL) def. Emilia Anderson / Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) --- 8-5
(1) Raquel Kops-Jones (CAL) def. Amber Liu (STAN) --- 6-3, 6-2
(2) Lauren Barnikow (STAN) def. Christina Fusano (CAL) --- 6-2, 6-2
(3) Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Catherine Lynch (CAL) --- 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
(4) Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Jieun Jacobs (CAL) --- 6-0, 6-4
(5) Jody Scheldt (CAL) def. Emilia Anderson (STAN) --- 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3
(6) Nicole Havlicek (CAL) def. Story Tweedie-Yates (STAN) --- 7-5, 6-2