Washington Men's Tennis Overcomes a 3-1 Deficit to Defeat Virginia Commonwealth 4-3
Feb. 8, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC - The No. 19 Washington men's tennis (5-0) came from behind to defeat Virginia Commonwealth 4-3 in an emotional win for the Huskies on Saturday at the University of North Carolina.
UW's Alex Vlaski, who played in the No. 1 position, downed Florian Marquardt 3-6, 6-4, 7-6. In the No. 2 position Husky Matt Hanlin defeated Martin Ott 5-7, 6-4, 7-6, while in the No. 3 position UW's Ari Strasberg fell to Pedro Nieto in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.
In the No. 4 position Mats Norin defeated Husky Christoph Palmanshofer 6-4, 6-1 and in the No. 5 position UW's Dillon Ruby fell to Danny Casquero 1-6, 6-2, 6-2. The match was determined when Husky Peter Scharler downed Francesc Lleal 6-7, 7-6, 6-0 to earn the clinch in dramatic come from behind fashion.
In doubles play, the Huskies duo of Starsberg & Vlaski came up short in the No. 1 position as they fell to Marquardt & Nieto 8-5. In the No. 2 position UW's Hanlin & Ruby defeated Norin & Ott 9-8 and UW's Palmanshofer & Scharler downed Casquero & Lleal 8-5 in the No. 3 position.
The Huskies will remain at North Carolina to face the Tarheels at Chapel Hill, NC Sunday Feb. 9.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Virginia Commonwealth
Sat., Feb. 8, 2003
Washington 4, Virginia Commonwealth 3
1. (5) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Florian Marquardt (VC) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
2. (11) Matt Hanlin (UW) def. Martin Ott (VC) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6
3. Pedro Nieto (VC) def. Ari Strasberg (UW) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mats Norin (VC) def. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) 6-4, 6-1
5. Danny Casquero (VC) def. Dillon Ruby (UW) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Pete Scharler (UW) def. Francesc Lleal (VC) 6-7, 7-6, 6-0 (clinch)
1. Marquardt & Nieto (VC) def. Strasberg & Vlaski (UW) 8-5
2. Hanlin & Ruby (UW) def. Norin & Ott (VC) 9-8
3. Palmanshofer & Scharler (UW) def. Casquero & Lleal (VC) 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive