Men's Tennis Falls To No. 1 UCLA, 6-1
Feb. 14, 2003
LOS ANGELES - Top-ranked UCLA posted its seventh consecutive victory Friday, downing visiting Arizona State, 6-1 in a men's tennis showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins remain undefeated at 7-0, while ASU falls to 3-3. Friday's match will not count towards the Pac-10 standings.
In doubles play, UCLA took a quick victory at the No. 2 court, however the Sun Devils answered back with a win at the No. 3 position. The doubles point was then decided at the No. 1 spot, where UCLA's Rodrigo Grilli/Marcin Matkowski defeated 17th-ranked Olivier Charroin/Chris Stewart, 8-6. The Bruins have yet to lose the doubles point this season, while it was only the second loss for the Sun Devils.
Following the closely contested doubles point, UCLA cruised in singles play winning five of six matches. First off was court No. 2 where Matkowski made quick work of Stewart, winning 6-2, 6-2. Just a few minutes later, Bruin senior Erfan Djahangiri gave UCLA a 3-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Charroin at the No. 4 position.
Sophomore Chris Lam clinched the match for UCLA at the No. 6 spot with a 6-3, 6-4 decision over ASU's Ryan Eveloff. UCLA's top player Tobias Clemens gave the Bruins a 5-0 lead with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Clinton Letcher at the No. 1 position.
With the match already in hand, both remaining matches were decided by a 10-point tiebreaker in place of a third set. At the No. 5 spot, Bruin senior Lassi Ketola defeated Chris Letcher, 6-3, 4-6, (13-11). ASU claimed its one point on the day at No. 3 singles, where Pim Van Mele battled back from a set down to defeat UCLA's Rodrigo Grilli, 3-6, 7-6(3), (10-8).
The Sun Devils return to action on Saturday against USC at Noon.
1. Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) def. (17) Charroin/Stewart (ASU) 8-6
2. (39) Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Letcher/Letcher (ASU) 8-1
3. Ryan McBride/Van Mele (ASU) def. Djahangiri/Alberto Francis (UCLA) 8-4
1. (12) Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) 3-6, 7-6(3), (10-8)
4. (38) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Chris Letcher (ASU) 6-3, 4-6, (13-11)
6. (40) Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) 6-3, 6-4