15th-Ranked Men's Tennis Earns 6-1 Win Over Arizona State
Feb. 15, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The 15th-ranked USC men's tennis team completed a sweep of the Arizona schools by defeating No. 43 Arizona State, 6-1, on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 6-2 overall this season, while the Sun Devils drop to 3-4.
'This was a great weekend for our team,' said head coach Peter Smith. 'To beat two quality Pac-10 programs the way we did gives our team a lot of confidence. Now we have to take this momentum into the National Indoors this week and do something with it.'
USC's new doubles pairings proved successful for the second consecutive outing, as the Trojans won two-of-three doubles matches to earn the first point of the afternoon.
In singles, sophomore Johan Berg and Daniel Langre claimed the first two wins with two-set victories over ASU's Chris Stewart and Pim Van Mele. Ahead 3-0, USC's Ruben Torres defeated the Sun Devils' Oliver Charroin 6-3, 6-3 to secure the Trojan victory.
Sophomore Prakash Amritraj posted his seventh consecutive win by sweeping Clinton Letcher 7-5, 6-4 at center court and put USC ahead 5-0. ASU claimed its only point thanks to Chris Letcher's 6-1, 7-6 decision over Parker Collins at No. 5 and the Trojans' Jeff Kazarian completed the afternoon by defeating Ryan Eveloff in a third-set tiebreaker, 5-7, 6-1, 15-13, at court 6.
USC travels to Louisville, Ky., this week to compete at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships. The Trojans begin the tournament by facing Florida on Thursday, Feb. 20.
#15 USC 6, #43 Arizona State 1
(1) Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) def. Jonathan Stott/Charroin (ASU) - 8-5
(2) Letcher/Letcher (ASU) def. Berg/Collins (USC) - 8-1
(3) Langre/Torres (USC) def. Van Mele/Ryan McBride (ASU) - 8-5USC wins doubles point.
(1) Prakash Amritraj (USC) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) #75 Johan Berg (USC) def. Chris Stewart (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU) - 6-3, 6-1
(4) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Oliver Charroin (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) Chris Letcher (ASU) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-1, 7-6(1)
(6) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Ryan Eveloff (ASU) - 5-7, 6-1, 15-13