Women's Tennis Win Streak Ends at Seven
Feb. 15, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 51 Oregon women's tennis team's seven-match winning streak came to a halt against No. 8 Arizona State, 5-2, Saturday in Tempe, Ariz. The Ducks (7-2, 0-1) picked up two wins in singles play, but were unable to capitalize on other opportunities.
'We played a pretty good match today,' Oregon head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'We had a couple of chances, we just weren't able to take advantage. It's just a matter of taking them when they're there.'
Arizona State swept through doubles play to take a 1-0 lead going into singles action. It marked only the second time that Oregon was unable to win the doubles point.
Sophomore Daria Panova, ranked No. 28 nationally, lost to No. 21 Adria Engel, 7-5, 6-4. It was Panova's first loss in dual action this season and her first loss in 11 matches.
Courtney Nagle picked up Oregon's first point by knocking off No. 109 Mhairi Brown, 7-6, 6-4, at No. 3. Ester Bak concluded Oregon's scoring at No. 6, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2. Other than Panova's match, the Ducks' best chance to score came at No. 5, where Jamie Marshall lost to Lauren Colalillo, 7-6, 6-2.
The Ducks will try and get another winning streak going Sunday at 10 a.m. against No. 16 Arizona. The match was rescheduled from Friday due to heavy rain.
No. 8 Arizona State def. No. 51 Oregon, 5-2.
1. No. 21 Adria Engel (A) def. No. 28 Daria Panova (O), 7-5, 6-4
2. No. 39 Dora Krstulovic (A) def. Monika Gieczys (O), 6-2, 6-1
3. Courtney Nagle (O) def. No. 109 Mhairi Brown (A), 7-6, 6-4
4. Cindy Sureephong (A) def. Julie Merle (O), 6-3, 6-1
5. Lauren Colalillo (A) def. Jamie Marshall (O), 7-6, 6-2
6. Ester Bak (O) def. Joslynn Burkett (A), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
1. Colalillo/Engel (A) def. Nagle/Panova (O), 8-3
2. No. 39 Brown/Sureephong (A) def. Gieczys/Merle (O), 8-1
3. Burkett/Yeats (A) def. Leksinska/Marshall (O), 8-5