USC Women Blank Arizona, 7-0
Feb. 21, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The third-ranked USC women's tennis team got off to a good start in the desert Friday afternoon by defeating 24th-ranked Arizona, 7-0, at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 7-1 overall this season, while the Wildcats fall to 2-2.
USC started the afternoon by sweeping doubles play with 8-6 wins at the No. 1 and 2 spots and an 8-4 victory at No. 3. The highlight was at court two, where the Trojans' Anita Loyola and Luana Magnani upset 25th-ranked Maja Mlakar and Debbie Larocque to complete the sweep.
The Women of Troy handled the bottom half of the singles lineup with ease, earning two set victories at the No. 4, 5 and 6 positions to put USC ahead 4-0 and secure the match victory.
At the top of the lineup, Jewel Peterson, Magnani and Loyola were all pushed to a third set. All three matches were eventually decided in a third-set tiebreaker. Peterson defeated Arizona's Emilie Scribot 10-7 in the tiebreaker, Magnani beat 31st-ranked Mlakar 10-8 and Loyola posted a 10-6 decision in the third set over 68th-ranked Dianne Hollands.
The Women of Troy return to action on Saturday, Feb. 22, when they face No. 8 Arizona State in Tempe.
#3 USC 7, #24 Arizona 0
(1) #9 Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Hollands/Scribot (Ariz) - 8-6
(2) #40 Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. #25 Mlakar/Larocque (Ariz) - 8-6
(3) Esmero/Vermeulen (USC) def. Perry/Zasova (Ariz) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #3 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Emilie Scribot (Ariz) - 7-6, 3-6, 10-7
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. #31 Maja Mlakar (Ariz) - 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
(3) #103 Anita Loyola (USC) def. #68 Dianne Hollands (Ariz) - 6-3, 1-6, 10-6
(4) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (Ariz) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Kelly Perry (Ariz) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Zorica Zasova (Ariz) - 6-4, 6-0
Wed 10/24 | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/25 | 2:00pm PTLive