Men's Tennis Falls To 22nd-Ranked Longhorns, 4-0
Feb. 22, 2003
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The 13th-ranked USC men's tennis team (7-4) ended the 2003 USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships with a 4-0 loss to 22nd-ranked Texas (5-3) on Saturday, Feb. 22, in consolation play. The Trojans will finish the national tournament tied for 11th place with either Georgia or Harvard.
Even with a Trojan loss at No. 1 doubles, USC came close to earning the first point of the match as Johan Berg and Parker Collins endured a narrow loss to Texas' Jimmy Haney and Pete Stoer in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (4).
Once the teams entered singles play, the Longhorns took control of the match. No. 19 Jean Simon handed USC's Prakash Amritraj his first dual match loss of the season, 6-3, 6-2. Then, following a 6-0, 6-2 Texas victory at the No. 5 spot, the Longhorns clinched the win when Haney defeated Ruben Torres at No. 4, 6-0, 4-6, 6-1.
Texas finished tied for ninth place.
The Trojans will take a week off from dual matches to compete at the Pacific Coast Doubles Championship in La Jolla, Calif., this week.
#22 Texas 4, #13 USC 0
(1) #21 Simon/Zarhi (Texas) def. Amritraj/Kazarian (USC) - 8-0
(2) Stroer/Haney (Texas) def. Berg/Collins (USC) - 9-8(4)
(3) Langre/Torres (USC) def. #45 Jenkin/Haymond (Texas) - 9-7
Texas wins the doubles point.
(1) #19 Jean Simon (Texas) def. Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(2) #75 Johan Berg (USC) vs. Jose Zarhi (Texas) - suspended
(3) Daniel Langre (USC) vs. Antonio Ruiz (Texas) - suspended
(4) Jimmy Haney (Texas) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
(5) Roger Gubser (Texas) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
(6) Whit Livingston (USC) vs. Pete Stroer (Texas) - suspended