Men's Tennis Wins Fifth Straight
Feb. 22, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 66 Oregon men's tennis team won its fifth straight match by defeating Pacific, 6-1, Saturday at the Student Tennis Center. The Ducks (6-1) won the doubles point and took five singles matches to keep the winning streak alive.
Senior Oded Teig tied Oregon's record for career singles victories with his 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory at the No. 2 position. Teig now has 64 singles wins, tying him with Lee Kirner for the all-time lead.
No. 64 Manuel Kost and freshman Thomas Bieri remained undefeated in singles play during dual-match play with a pair of wins. Kost dominated early and then edged out his opponent in the second set to take his match at the No. 1 position, 6-0, 7-6(5). Bieri had no trouble at all at the No. 4 spot, winning 6-2, 6-1.
In doubles play, Swinnen and Teig kept up their excellent play and pushed their record to 6-1 with an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 position. Bieri and Kost teamed together at the No. 3 spot to win 8-1 and clinch the point for the Ducks.
Oregon will look to push the winning streak to six matches with a 3 p.m. Sunday match against UC Santa Barbara. Oregon head coach Chris Russell and assistant coach Ross Duncan are both graduates of UC Santa Barbara. Live scoring will be available for the match at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 66 Oregon defeats Pacific, 6-1
1. No. 64 Manuel Kost (O) def. Arnar Sigurdsson (P), 6-0, 7-6
2. Oded Teig (O) def. Lennart Maack (P), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. Sven Swinnen (O) def. Michael Duong (P), 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Thomas Bieri (O) def. Vincent Kubler (P), 6-2, 6-1
5. Jason Menke (O) def. Niclas Otte (P), 6-2, 6-0
6. Maxime Lacroix (P) def. Andrew Walker (O), 6-1, 6-1
1. Swinnen/Teig (O) def. Kubler/Otte (P), 8-3
2. Maack/Sigurdsson (P) def. Menke/Spencer (O), 8-4
3. Bieri/Kost (O) def. Black/Duong (P), 8-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/17 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/18 | 12:00pm PTLive