Women's Tennis Defeats Washington State, 5-2
Feb. 23, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 39 Oregon women's tennis team won an exciting match Sunday with No. 44 Washington State, 5-2. The Ducks (9-3, 2-2) won five singles matches, three in three sets, to defeat the Cougars.
'It was a classic college tennis match,' Oregon head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'Going out into singles play, our girls just had amazing energy. It wasn't just them playing the right way, they played with so much determination.'
In singles play, Oregon took two matches in straight sets to take the team lead, 2-1. Nagle was first off the court at No. 2, defeating No. 77 Lorena Arias, 6-4, 6-2. Freshman Anna Leksinska was next for the Ducks at No. 6, knocking off Zorana Roganovic, 6-3, 6-2.
The final four matches of the day went to three sets, with Oregon pulling out three for the team victory. No. 28 Panova lost the first set at No. 1, but battled back to defeat Orsolya Sallai, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, giving the Ducks a 3-1 lead.
Freshman Jamie Marshall clinched the team victory at No. 4 with her come-from-behind win, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4. Marshall trailed in the final set, 4-1, before winning the final five games.
'It was great to see a freshman play the way she did,' Schyllander said. 'She played to win.'
Following a tough three-set loss by Bak at No. 5, 7-6, 3-6, 6-4, Gieczys finished off Oregon's scoring at the No. 3 position. Gieczys lost the first set and was down 3-0 in the second before mounting her comeback to win the match, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
'It was a total team thing today,' Schyllander said. 'They made a commitment to each other out there that they wouldn't leave the court until they were done.'
Oregon will play host to Stanford and California this weekend beginning Saturday. Both teams will be ranked in the top 10 when the next rankings come out this week.
No. 39 Oregon defeats No. 44 Washington State, 5-2.
1. No. 28 Daria Panova (O) def. Orsolya Sallai (W), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Courtney Nagle (O) def. No. 77 Lorena Arias (W), 6-4, 6-2
3. Monika Gieczys (O) def. Chris Martinez (W), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Jamie Marshall (O) def. Nora Gaal (W), 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
5. Annabelle Stefanchuk (W) def. Ester Bak (O), 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
6. Anna Leksinska (O) def. Zorana Roganovic (W), 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 3 Arias/Martinez (W) def. Nagle/Panova (O), 8-4
2. Bak/Gieczys (O) def. Roganovic/Sallai (W), 8-1
3. Fodor/Gaal (W) def. Leksinska/Marshall (O), 8-6