Women's Tennis Earns Second Straight Shutout
Feb. 22, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. - For the second-consecutive day, the third-ranked USC women's tennis team left its opponent scoreless, this time with a 7-0 win over eighth-ranked Arizona State on Saturday afternoon in Tempe.
The match marked the first loss of the 2003 season for the Sun Devils (6-1), who beat No. 9 UCLA on Friday. The Women of Troy improve to 8-1 overall.
USC won the doubles point by taking two-of-three matches. At center court, Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer defeated ASU's Lauren Colalillo and Adria Engel, 8-6, and at No. 3, Melissa Esmero and Carine Vermeulen beat Joslynn Burkett and Megan Yeats with ease, 8-2.
The Trojans swept through singles, winning five-of-six matches in straight sets. Anita Loyola was the only player to enter a third set after Sun Devil Cindy Sureephong pulled out a 7-5 second-set victory. Loyola eventually completed the sweep with a 6-2 decision in the final set.
The Women of Troy have one more match on the road before returning home. USC plays at San Diego on Wednesday, Feb. 26, at 1:30 p.m.
#3 USC 7, #8 Arizona State 0
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Colalillo/Engel (ASU) - 8-6
(2) Brown/Sureephong (ASU) def. Magnani/Loyola (USC) - 8-5
(3) Esmero/Vermeulen (USC) def. Burkett/Yeats (ASU) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #3 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #21 Adria Engel (ASU) - 7-6(4), 7-5
(2) Luana Magnani (USC) def. #109 Mhairi Brown (ASU) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) #103 Anita Loyola (USC) def. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) - 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
(4) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) - 6-3, 7-6(4)
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Joslynn Burkett (ASU) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) - 7-6(4), 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:30pm PTLive