No. 23 Bears Host Arizona State Sunday
Feb. 28, 2003
Arizona State Sun Devils (17-9, 9-6) at California Golden Bears (19-6, 12-4)
Sunday, March 2, 12:30 p.m., Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
TV: Fox Sports Net
Radio: KYCY (1550 AM)
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* Cal wraps up its home schedule Sunday afternoon when the Golden Bears host Arizona State at 12:30 p.m. in Haas Pavilion.
* Sunday's game marks the final home appearance for three Cal seniors - forward Joe Shipp and guards Brian Wethers and Donte Smith. Shipp ranks sixth on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,558 points, while Wethers is 20th with 1,149 points. Smith, who missed much of the season following quadriceps surgery in September, is a three-time Pac-10 All-Academic selection.
* The last time Cal hosted Arizona State on Senior Day, the Bears played the final game in old Harmon Gym, prevailing 84-66 on March 6, 1997. The contest, though, was not Cal's last of the regular season - the Bears defeated eventual NCAA champion Arizona two days later at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.
* In addition to leading the league in scoring (21.0 ppg), F Joe Shipp ranks among the Pac-10's Top 10 in rebounding (10th, 6.1 rpg), field goal shooting (8th, 52.6%), three-point shooting (10th, 37.9%) and free throw shooting (10th, 77.6%).
* Sophomore F Amit Tamir boasts his own Pac-10 trifecta - seventh in scoring (16.5 ppg), tied for seventh in rebounding (6.4 rpg) and 10th in assists (3.32 apg). Over his last three games, Tamir has 17 assists and just two turnovers.
* At 19-6 overall, the Bears are virtually assured of a fifth consecutive trip to the postseason - a feat that would be the first of its kind in school history. Cal advanced to the NIT in both 1999 and 2000 and to the NCAA Tournament the last two years.
* Cal's Joe Shipp and Arizona State's Ike Diogu are two of only three players in the Pac-10 to have scored in double figures in every game (Oregon's Luke Ridnour is the other). Brian Wethers has scored 10 or more points 24 times in 25 outings, while Amit Tamir has 23 double-digit performances.