3rd-Ranked Stanford Sweeps Women's Tennis 7-0
March 1, 2003
EUGENE, Ore. - The Oregon women's tennis team faced 3rd-ranked Stanford, their toughest opponent thus far this year Saturday afternoon at the Student Tennis Center, and fell by a score of 7-0. The Cardinal won all six singles matches in straight sets en route to the victory.
The Ducks were much more competitive in doubles play, but were still unable to unseat the Pac-10's premier tennis program. The top-ranked doubles team in the country, Lauren Barnikow, and Erin Burdette faced a stiff challenge from Oregon's top tandem, the 38th-ranked pair of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova, the individual Pac-10 indoor champion. The Cardinal duo were forced to a decisive 16th game, before winning the match 9-7.
In singles play, 10th-ranked Amber Liu made quick work of Panova, winning 6-1, 6-1 in the no. 1 spot. Anna Leksinska was the most competitive duck in singles competition, pushing Story Tweedie-Yates through two challenging sets, before Tweedie-Yates prevailed 6-3, 6-3.
The Ducks continue their current homestand tommorow, when they host California, with the match starting at 11:00 a.m. in the Student Tennis Center
1. No. 1 Lauren Barnikow/Erin Burdette (S) def. No. 38 Courtney Nagle/Daria Panova (O) 9-7
2. No. 6 Alice Barnes/Amber Liu (S) def. Ester Bak/Monica Gieczys (O) 8-6
3. No. 4 Story Tweedie-Yates/Amilia Anderson (S) def. Anna Leksinska/Julie Merle (O) 8-4
1. No. 10 Amber Liu (S) def. No. 16 Daria Panova (O) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 26 Lauren Barnikow (S) def. No. 52 Courtney Nagle (O) 7-6, 6-0
3. No. 43 Erin Burdette (S) def. Jamie Marshall (O) 6-3, 6-1
4. No. 5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Julie Merle (O) 6-0, 6-1
5. Emilia Anderson (S) def. Ester Bak (O) 6-3, 6-2
6. Story Tweedie-Yates (S) def. Anna Leksinska (O) 6-3, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 11/23 | 11:00am PTLive