Women's Tennis Sweeps Texas Schools with 6-0 Win at TCU
March 1, 2003
FORT WORTH, Texas - The Arizona women's tennis team improved to 4-3 on the season with a 6-0 sweep at TCU Saturday. Arizona handed TCU its first loss of the season at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth, Texas.
In singles play, graduate student Emilie Scribot (46) defeated TCU's Paty Aburto (100) in the No. 1 spot, 6-3, 1-6, 5-4, default. In the second spot, sophomore Maja Mlakar recorded a victory over Saber Pierce, 6-2, 6-1. In the third spot, sophomore Dianne Hollands (60) won versus Rosa Perez, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4. Junior Debbie Larocque defeated Karla Mancinas in the fourth spot, 6-2, 6-2. In the fifth position, sophomore Kelly Perry defeated Iris Jaklin, 6-2, 6-2. In the sixth spot, freshman Kristy Randono battled with Gloriann Lopez for a win. Randono dropped the first set 3-6, and won the second set, 6-3. The match was won after the third and deciding set, which favored Randono, 11-9.
Doubles were not played because of time restraints.
The Arizona women's tennis team (4-3, 0-3 Pac-10) will take a week off before heading to California to take on No. 4 Cal on March 7, and No. 3 Stanford on March 8. The No. 26 Wildcats will look for their first Pac-10 win.
1. #46 Emilie Scribot (UA) def. #100 Paty Aburto (TCU). 6-3, 1-6, 5-4, default
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Saber Pierce (TCU), 6-2, 6-1
3. #60 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Rosa Perez (TCU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Karla Mancinas (TCU), 6-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Iris Jaklin (TCU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Kristy Randono (UA) def. Gloriann Lopez (TCU), 3-6, 6-3, 11-9
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive