No. 20 Women's Tennis Cruises Past No. 42 Washington State 7-0
March 2, 2003
LEWISTON, Idaho - No. 20 Washington women's tennis cruised past No. 42 Washington State 7-0 in Lewiston, Idaho, Sunday afternoon.
The Huskies won all six singles matches and swept all three doubles matches to dominate their in-state rival. Junior Claire Carter, ranked No. 63, defeated Orsolya Sallai in straight-sets (6-1, 6-0), while UW's other ranked singles player, No. 39 sophomore Dea Sumantri, picked up a win over Lorena Arias (6-3, 6-3). Senior Colleen Gray and freshman Dinka Hadzic also won their singles matches in straight-sets.
Carter and senior Darija Klaic, the nation's eighth-ranked doubles team, earned a 9-7 win over Arias and Chris Martinez. Gray and Sumantri defeated Fodor and Gaal from WSU, 8-2, while senior Erin Boisclair and Hadzic took care of Stefanchuk and Sallai, 8-6, to round out doubles play.
Today's match vs. Washington State was the second on the weekend for the Huskies, but results from their match with BYU on Saturday were not made available.
UW remains on the road next week and will head to Southern California to face San Diego State, Friday, March 7, at 2 p.m. and the University of San Diego, Saturday, March 8, at noon.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Washington State
March 2, 2003 o Lewiston, Idaho
#20 Washington 7, No. 42 Washington State 0
1. (63) Claire Carter (UW) def. Orsolya Sallai (WSU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Darija Klaic (UW) def. Lorena Arias (WSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. (39) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Chris Martinez (WSU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Erin Boisclair (UW) def. Nora Gaal (WSU), 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
5. Colleen Gray (UW) def. Annabel Stefanchuk (WSU), 7-6, 6-4
6. Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU), 6-3, 6-2
1. (8) Carter/Klaic (UW) def. Arias/Martinez (WSU), 9-7
2. Gray/Sumantri (UW) def. Fodor/Gaal (WSU), 8-2
3. Boisclair/Hadzic (UW) def. Stefanchuk/Sallai (WSU), 8-6