Men's Basketball Visits Arizona State, Arizona
March 3, 2003
WHAT'S ON TAP . . . Oregon and Arizona State play Thursday, March 6 in Tempe in what will be a prelude to their first round meeting in the Pac-10 Tournament the following week. But this week's game figures large in the NCAA hopes of both the Ducks and Sun Devils. Fox Sports Net will televise the game live nationally at 7:30 p.m. PST (8:30 p.m. MST). Saturday, March 8, Oregon takes a shot at the No. 1 team in the country in Arizona. CBS will show that game live regionally at 1 p.m. PST (2 p.m. MST).
DUCKS LOCKED INTO 4-5 GAME AT PAC-10 TOURNEY . . . Though two games remain in the regular season, Oregon is assured of being either the No. 4 or No. 5 seed in the Pac-10 Tournament. The Ducks' first round game will be at 3:50 p.m. on Thursday, March 13 against Arizona State. With a win Thursday, the Ducks will earn the No. 4 seed outright, not to mention the right to wear the home white (or yellow) jerseys.
RIDNOUR THREATENS SEASON ASSISTS MARK . . . Luke Ridnour needs just nine more assists to break the UO single season assists record of 184, set by Ron Lee in 1975-76. Ridnour enters the Arizona State game with 176 assists on the season (an average of 6.5 per game), which ties his own mark from last season, which was the second-most ever at UO.
TENTATIVE OREGON STARTERS
F 3 Robert Johnson 6-8 250 Sr. 7.5 ppg, 6.4 rpg, .605 FG Pct.F 33 Luke Jackson 6-7 215 Jr. 16.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.7 apgC 40 Brian Helquist 6-9 260 Sr. 3.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, .514 FG Pct.G 1 James Davis 5-10 175 Jr. 10.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 75 3 FGG 13 Luke Ridnour 6-2 175 Jr. 19.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 6.5 apg
QUICK HITS...A brief look at what to watch for this weekend:
* Oregon is shooting .775 from the free throw line this season. That would break the school and Pac-10 record .769 set by the Ducks last year.
* Oregon has now won 20 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in 64 years; the school last accomplished that feat in 1937-38 (25-8) and 1938-39 (29-5).
* At 20-7, Oregon has the same record through 27 games that it had at the same point last year.
* Oregon is 18-0 when the 'bigs' (Jay Anderson, Ian Crosswhite, Brian Helquist, Robert Johnson and Matt Short) combine for at least 22 points; UO is 2-7 when the guys at the 4-5 spots fall below that mark.
* Oregon is 15-0 when shooting better from the floor than the opposition.
* Individually, the Ducks are 12-1 when Ian Crosswhite scores at least 10 points; UO is 13-1 when Robert Johnson collects at least seven points and six rebounds.
* Luke Ridnour is the only Duck (and one of only three Pac-10 players) to score in double digits in all 27 games this year.
* The Ducks have had at least four players score in double-figure in 19 of 27 games this season, and six times they've had at least five in double-digits.
* Oregon is 30-2 at McArthur Court over the last two seasons.