Women's Tennis Completes Bruin Sweep With 5-2 Win
March 5, 2003
LOS ANGELES - With outstanding singles play, the No. 2-ranked USC women's tennis team defeated No. 8 UCLA, 5-2, on Wednesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. Playing in front of a stadium full of fans, the Women of Troy improved to 11-1 overall and secured all five points awarded in women's tennis for the Lexus Gauntlet. USC also notched its first Pac-10 victory of the season, while the Bruins fell to 8-5 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-10.
The win marks the first time USC has beat UCLA twice in one season since 1988.
The doubles matches at the No. 1 and 2 positions were close from the start. USC led at both courts until a fan interruption at court two changed the momentum. UCLA's Jackie Carleton and Feriel Esseghir eventually earned an 8-5 win at No. 2, but USC's Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer responded with an 8-6 win at center court. At No. 3, USC's Melissa Esmero and Carine Vermeulen were down 6-1 and rallied to come within one at 7-6, but could not gain the edge. UCLA earned the win, 9-7, and entered singles with a 1-0 lead.
The Women of Troy wasted no time in singles before taking control of the match. At court two, USC's Luana Magnani led 6-2, 1-0 when the Bruins' Suzi Wild was forced to retire. With the match tied 1-1, Anita Loyola and Vermeulen gave the Trojans the lead with two-set victories at No. 4 and 6, respectively. Needing one final point to clinch, Brymer defeated Anya Loncaric, 7-5, 6-3, at the No. 5 spot.
Maureen Diaz, who has been out with an injury, retired her match at No. 3 after Brymer clinched the victory, giving UCLA its second point of the afternoon. Diaz led 7-6(3), 0-1 at the time. Peterson was the last off the court for the Women of Troy as she defeated Carleton, 7-6(2), 6-3, at the No. 1 position.
The Women of Troy travel to face No. 36 Oregon this Saturday, March 8, in Eugene at Noon.
#2 USC 5, #8 UCLA 2
(1) #20 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Wild/Gregg (UCLA) - 8-6
(2) Carleton/Feriel Esseghir (UCLA) def. Loyola/Magnani (USC) - 8-5
(3) Sara Walker/Gordon (UCLA) def. Esmero/Vermeulen (USC) - 9-7
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Jewel Peterson (USC) def. #31 Jackie Carleton (UCLA) - 7-6(2), 6-3
(2) #32 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #42 Susi Wild (UCLA) - 6-2, 1-0 retired
(3) Sarah Gregg (UCLA) def. #96 Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-7, 1-0 retired
(4) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) #90 Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) - 7-5, 6-3
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Shilpa Joshi (UCLA) - 6-2, 6-3
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive