Trojans Fall To Third-Ranked Bruins, 7-0
March 7, 2003
LOS ANGELES -- The No. 18 USC men's tennis team (7-5, 0-1 Pac-10) suffered a 7-0 loss to third-ranked UCLA on Friday, March 7, in the Pac-10 opener at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the victory, the Bruins (13-1, 1-0 Pac-10) win all five points awarded in men's tennis for the Lexus Gauntlet.
The teams competed in front of a large, vocal crowd and a regional TV audience. The broadcast will air on Fox Sports Net this Sunday, March 9, at 3 p.m. (PST).
UCLA came out strong from the start, winning the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
The featured match of the afternoon pitted the Trojans' 36th-ranked Prakash Amritraj and UCLA's eighth-ranked Tobias Clemens at center court. Amritraj, who defeated Clemens in straight sets in their first meeting in January, this time fell 6-4, 6-1.
Bruin junior Marcin Matkowski was first to finish, as he defeated Johan Berg, 6-2, 6-2, at court two to put the Bruins ahead 2-0. UCLA clinched the match with straight-set victories at No. 4 and 6 singles.
The Trojans return to action on Tuesday, March 11, when they host Tulane at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#3 UCLA 7, #18 USC 0
(1) #16 Grilli/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Amritraj/Berg (USC) - 8-6
(2) #26 Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Langre/Torres (USC) - 8-1
(3) Djahangiri/Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Collins/Livingston (USC) - 8-3
UCLA wins doubles point.
(1) #8 Tobias Clemens (UCLA) def. #36 Prakash Amritraj (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) #45 Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. #59 Johan Berg (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) Rodrigo Grilli (UCLA) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2)
(4) #64 Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) #26 Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
(6) #87 Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/27 | 12:00pm PTLive