Women's Tennis Loses Tight Match to No. 8 UCLA
March 7, 2003
EUGENE - The No. 36 Oregon women's tennis team battled another top-10 opponent to the wire, but came up short against No. 8 UCLA, 5-2. The Ducks (9-6, 2-5) lost a pair of three-setters in the final two matches off the court that would have given Oregon the victory.
'It was just another hard-fought battle,' head coach Nils Schyllander said. 'Our kids hung tough out there, we just came out on the short end again.'
UCLA took the doubles point by winning the matches at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. With those two matches already over, the No. 38-ranked tandem of Courtney Nagle and Daria Panova finished off UCLA's pair of Jackie Carleton and Feriel Esseghir at No. 1, 8-4.
In singles play, the Bruins took a 2-0 lead as No. 42 Susi Wild defeated No. 89 Monika Gieczys at the No. 2 position, 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Jamie Marshall scored the Ducks' first point with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Laura Gordon at the No. 4 spot.
Fellow freshman Anna Leksinska tied up the team score, 2-2, with a 7-5, 6-4 victory against Shilpa Joshi at the No. 6 position. Leksinska trailed 5-1 in the first set before rallying to win the final six games of the set. UCLA took the lead back with a 7-5, 7-5 victory by Sarah Gregg over No. 52 Nagle at No. 3.
The final two matches on the court were at No. 1 and No. 5, as Oregon came back to win the second set in both matches. At No. 5, sophomore Ester Bak won six of the last seven games in the second set, but could not hold on in the third and lost, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1. No. 16 Panova lost to No. 31 Carleton at No. 1, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4, to finish out the scoring.
'There are a lot of positives we can take from this match,' Schyllander said. 'We are proving it to ourselves that we are a top team, and now we just need to finish the job.'
Oregon will attempt for an upset once again Saturday at noon against No. 2 USC. Live scoring will be available for the match at www.GoDucks.com.
No. 8 UCLA def. No. 36 Oregon, 5-2.
1. No. 31 Jackie Carleton (UCLA) def. No. 16 Daria Panova (UO), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
2. No. 42 Susi Wild (UCLA) def. No. 89 Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-3, 6-1
3. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) def. No. 52 Courtney Nagle (UO), 7-5, 7-5
4. Jamie Marshall (UO) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA), 6-4, 6-0
5. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) def. Ester Bak (UO), 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 (Clinched)
6. Anna Leksinska (UO) def. Shilpa Joshi (UCLA), 7-5, 6-4
1. No. 38 Nagle/Panova (UO) def. Carleton/Esseghir (UCLA), 8-4
2. Gregg/Wild (UCLA) def. Bak/Gieczys (UO), 8-3
3. Gordon/Walker (UCLA) def. Leksinska/Merle (UO), 8-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive