Women's Tennis Loses at Virginia
March 24, 2003
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The No. 22 Oregon women's tennis team lost to No. 37 Virginia, 6-1, to begin a three-match road trip. The Ducks (10-9, 2-6) were shut out in doubles play and were only able to win one singles match against the Cavaliers.
The Cavaliers swept doubles play, led by their No. 38 and No. 40-ranked tandems at the top two spots. Oregon's Ester Bak and Anna Leksinska teamed up at No. 3 and came the closest to winning. The pair came back from an early 4-1 deficit, but eventually fell, 8-6.
Senior Monika Gieczys won Oregon's only match of the day at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 7-5, against Virginia's Lori Stern. Sophomore Daria Panova, ranked No. 18 in the country, lost to Henriette Williams in a 10-point third-set tiebreaker, 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-1).
The Ducks will play at Virginia Tech Wednesday at 7 a.m. PST. Oregon finishes its three-match tour of Virginia with a match Friday against No. 16 Virginia Commonwealth.
No. 37 Virginia def. No. 22 Oregon, 6-1.
1. Henriette Williams (UVA) def. No. 18 Daria Panova (UO), 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-1)
2. Jennifer Tuchband (UVA) def. No. 40 Courtney Nagle (UO), 7-5, 6-2
3. Monika Gieczys (UO) def. Lori Stern (UVA), 6-3, 7-5
4. Kristen James (UVA) def. Ester Bak (UO), 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Marta Bechliwanis (UVA) def. Julie Merle (UO), 6-3, 6-1
6. Dora Bechliwanis (UVA) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 6-2, 6-4
1. No. 40 Tuchband/Williams (UVA) def. No. 28 Nagle/Panova (UO), 8-2
2. No. 38 James/Stern (UVA) def. Gieczys/Merle (UO), 8-1
3. Bruch/Montgomery (UVA) def. Bak/Leksinska (UO), 8-6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 8/22 | 6:30pm PTLive